Skip to content
Can I ask?
NIH123 posted:
I recently had a pap smear that came back abnormal. The doctors office called me and told me about it and that they wanted to do a colposcopy. Can I ask them what was abnormal about it? Are the nurses allowed to tell me that? I have to go back when I have my next period, which is in about three weeks. SHOULD I call them and ask them what was abnormal? I am just really stressing out about this. Thanks for the help.

Worried mom of 2 young children
bandgurl responded:
Yes, you can request a copy of your lab work legally. I just had an abnormal pap in September and had to have a colposcopy. I freaked out a little myself. My mom died at 32 of cervical cancer. Everything came back fine. My abnormal cells were atypical squamous cells. Which these can be cause by anything. A bladder infection, having done right after a period, just having sex 2 days before your pap, ect. If you do not want to have to worry find out what kind of cells came back and it will give you an indication. Not knowing is the worse.
wellnessmom4 responded:
Yes, you certainly can ask for more specifics on what was abnormal. Have you been having regular paps? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about this because abnormal paps aren't all that abnormal. (Sort of like abnormal mammograms!) I think doctors these days are just very cautious. Have you ever had a colpo? If not, it's definitely not worth stressing yourself out about (in my opinion). I find it no more uncomfortable than a regular pelvic exam. If they decide to take a cervical biopsy, that's a momentary snip/sting that does hurt slightly more than a normal pap smear, but truly, you blink and it's done with. Being a mom, you've likely endured far worse. It hurts far less than, say, mashing your foot into the fireplace. :) I've had a few gyn abnormalities, so I get regular colpos and have had half a dozen biopsies on things that looked slightly abnormal to the doctor at the time (but which turned out to be nothing). Sometimes I get momentarily upset that they biopsied something that was nothing, but on the whole, I find colpos rather reassuring. Better to know.

Helpful Tips

I just learned the truth about Gianvi!
I just had my annual visit with ob/gyn today and mentioned that for the past year I have had a resurgence of horrible migraines. I asked if ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.