Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
rectal hernia
wendyzc2 posted:
I have a rectal hernia which causes a bulge between my anus and my vagina, and I have to push on the bulge to get the feces going in the right direction. The hernia makes it hard to completely eliminate fecal matter, so I'm left with a bad odor, and don't want to be away from the convenience of my own bathtub, even though it would be nice if I could go camping, or on holidays to visit family. I'm wondering what this type of hernia is called so that I can look it up online, and can surgery be done for it?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome, Wendyzc2, and thank you for posting.

It just happens I had a Rectocele-- which is what they call a bulge from the rectum into the vagina. I saw my doctor for it and I choose to have the surgery to correct it. This was over a decade ago, and I am very happy with the results.

However, you'll need to discuss this with your doctor and find out what your options are and weigh the risks and benefits of each.

Write back and let us know how you're doing,

Byroney
You must do the thing you think you cannot do. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

wellnessmom4 responded:
Only you can decide if the symptoms are bothersome enough to make the risks of surgery worth it. I have a small rectocele and my symptoms are minor, but I know someone who has the more bothersome symptoms that you do, and I've already decided that, if I have to start helping my bowel movements in such a way, forget it; I'll be having surgery for sure. I may have it anyway because I've got another small area that needs repaired down there and my gyn says she can fix both at the same time. Dr. Minkin (on the menopause board) compared recovering from a rectocele repair to recovering from a large episiotomy, if that helps. My doc says plan on a week off work and taking it easy for about 6 weeks (no lifting, straining, etc.).

badchitta responded:
hello i had the rectocele don 2 years ago because i was having the bad odor two and now i feel better

wendyzc2 replied to badchitta's response:
Thankyou very much badchitta. I wondered if I would get surgery once I found out whether or not there is surgery for this problem. Since you're reply, I will take great consideration into having surgery done. I'm glad you're feeling better since your surgery. I'm kind of looking forward to it in a way, even though surgery is scary and this type would seem humiliating.

wendyzc2 replied to wellnessmom4's response:
Thankyou very much for your response. I will look up your suggestions when I have more time. I'm sure it will be very helpful information. Thankyou, wellnessmon4

wendyzc2 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thankyou for your response. I'm sure all of the responses I received for this, are going to be very helpful. I find they are making me feel much more encouraged to talk to my doctor about it. It's good to know you are feeling happy about the surgery you had done a decade ago. I will look up rectocele when I have more time to do so. Also, I'll take wellnessmom4's advice and look up Dr. Minkin on the menopause board. Thanks again.

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.