Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Help, Please!
nic14120 posted:
I am 6 weeks post vaginal delivery and during my pregnancy I developed external roids. I have been fine up until yesterday. I noticed that when I passed stool it was as if I was being cut open, razor sharp while passing them. I thought maybe it was just a hard stool, but today it happened again. I looked at the area in the mirror and the spot where the roid was is no longer there, possible that is broke from labor? Anyway, it looks like that spot has a indent or hole where the roid was. Around it appears to be other roids, so I am not sure where I am bleeding out from, or where the pain is coming from. I have not looked at the area since delivery so I am not sure if it was like this after birth and now it's the other ones. I am nervous bc I am BF'ing and don't want to develop an infection from passing stool where there is an open wound. Would it be safe to wait until Monday to call the dr's to have it looked at and continue to BF? (breastfeed)

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear nic: I am sorry that I did not see your post earlier! Yes, it is fine to continue breastfeeding. Your concern is understandable. Bowel bacteria like e. coli can cause infections. Fortunately the area around the anus has a high concentration of immune system tissue which is there to fight infections. Anal fissures and internal hemorrhoids are common--and they can get "torn" by constipated stool. Yet infections from this process are not common.

After one has had a large hemorrhoid (eg after pregnancy), the hemorrhoid can involute leaving only a skin tag to mark the place where it once was. Skin tags can also mark the site of hemorrhoids which are mostly inside the anus (internal hemorrhoids). Given your bleeding and pain your MD may need to examine the area using an anoscope (clear plastic cone with a light source used to look inside the anus).

Again sorry to have seen this so late. Hope you were able to continue breast feeding your baby.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.