Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Possible Essure complications
swedishmom posted:
I had the Essure placed in June 2007, on the 2nd attempt without anesthesia. I had the typical pain and nausea, but they subsided after a few days accept for cramping on my left lower abdomen. My periods practically disappeared but returned spring 2008, heavier and longer than before the procedure. The left sided cramping and odd periods were reported to my doctor, who told me that it was normal for both post Essure. Fall 2008 I developed intense lower back pain, which I also reported to my doctors. I have chronic back pain anyway but no one could figure out the cause of this new pain. I have a new general MD, who thinks I may have developed cysts on my left ovary and is sending me for an ultrasound. My thought, is that since my signs and symptoms have been going on since the Essure placement, I'm wondering if they aren't related? I never put them all together, because the original doctor kept telling me it was normal. Anyone know anything I don't? Thank you for any help or suggestions,

someonewhocares3 responded:
Uterine ablation can cause some problems because the uterus and ovaries were made to work as a unit. The non-profit HERS Foundation has some info on its website about uterine ablation. Go to www.hersfoundation.com and click on the Ablation link.

And be aware that a hysterectomy isn't the answer to your problems. It will just cause more problems although they may not be manifested until several years later. You can also read about the adverse effects of hysterectomy on HERS.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear swedishmom: I can understand your concern since the menstrual changes and pain seemed to onset right after the placement of the Essure. The most recent follow up citation of Essure came from the National Library of Medicine site:

Fertil Steril. 2010 Jun;94(1):16-9.
Hysteroscopic tubal sterilization: a systematic review of the Essure system.
Hurskainen R, Hovi SL, Gissler M, Grahn R, Kukkonen-Harjula K, Nord-Saari M, M?kel? M.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hyvink?? Hospital, Hyvink??, Finland. ritva.hurskainen@hus.fi

OBJECTIVE:

To update the evidence of the efficacy and safety of the Essure system. Female sterilization has undergone changes in the last decade. Besides laparoscopic tubal occlusion, the Essure system is now a viable option, with about 200,000 women sterilized using this method.
DESIGN:

The review is based on the report of the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research and completed with systematic literature searches up to April 8, 2008.
SETTING:

The Managed Uptake of Medical Methods program of the Finnish National Research and Development Center for Health and Welfare.
PATIENT(S):

Women over 30 years, who had been sterilized by the Essure method.
INTERVENTION(S):

Hysteroscopic tubal sterilization using Essure system.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S):

Efficacy/effectiveness, adverse events, costs.
RESULT(S):

Sterilization by Essure can be performed under local anesthesia or with oral analgesics in ambulatory settings. However, sterilization is not immediate and women must use additional contraception for 3 months until permanent tubal occlusion is verified by transvaginal ultrasound, hysterosalpingosonography, hysterosalpingography, or pelvic radiography. The evidence on efficacy and safety is mainly available from short follow-up case series but shows good efficacy and safety of the Essure system. Only a few small risks are associated with the procedure. Two economic studies, one of which implemented Essure as an in-office procedure, suggest that Essure could be more cost-effective than laparoscopic sterilization, but more information on the total cost is needed.
CONCLUSION(S):

The Essure system appears to be safe, permanent, irreversible, and a less invasive method of contraception compared with laparoscopic sterilization.

Swedishmom, I could not find specific data on incidence of pain and menstrual changes. MULTIPLE searches yielded anecdotal accounts from women who proposed that prolonged bleeding, dizziness, pain, etc were due to the device. It is hard to make a good assessment from this type of information.

I would urge you to follow through with your proposed evaluation for ovarian cysts. If you do not have an overt GYN cause for your symptoms I would urge you to get a second opinion from another GYN who is trained to do the Essure. There are cases in the literature where the implant was not well situated--although it sounds like your 3 month HSG was normal.

Yours,
Jane

swedishmom replied to someonewhocares3's response:
Thank you for your quick reply! I willl check that link ASAP! I really appreciate your help.

swedishmom replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you for your quick reply! Due to a long story regarding military communication and changw in insurance, the 3 or 6 month HSG was not performed. I was assured by my ob/gyn at the time that obstruction would be complete. My U/S was WNL, no cysts and Essure is properly placed. I am meeting with a new gyn in a few weeks, who doesnt use the Essure. The sonographer had made a comment that the Essure was not right but the radiologist said it was. Do u know if the manufacturer is advising or getting involved with identifying issues? Again, thank you for your assistances, I am going to try to find a doctor who is knowledgable.

samantita responded:
have been pregnant 8 times in my life with 5 children 2 of which are twins... after getting the essure done 2 years later complaints of pain and heavy bleeding almost like im having a miscarriage being reported i was told i have pcos. multiple cysts on both of my ovaries... i was told it was due to my weight then230LBs after this procedure as well.. how is it possible the tremendous weight gain i have and to become pcos after this procedure... p.s. i have many other complications as well that i get told are unrelated yet many other woman have the same problems i have

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.