Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Flu like symtoms
asil557 posted:
For the past 3 months a week before my period I get flu like symptoms. Is that normal??

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear asil: Common menstrual cramps are caused by the release of prostaglandins from the lining of the uterus. Prostaglandins create both the cramps of labor and menstrual cramps by making the uterus contract. Common cramps may start prior to the onset of flow and usually last 72 hours. There are also receptor sites for prostaglandins in the bowel and central nervous system. Thus prostaglandins can produce not just cramps but also nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, and other "flu-like" symptoms.

Ways to block prostaglandins can include birth control pills, or anti-prostaglandin drugs (eg ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, ketoprofen, etc.). Some alternative healthcare providers such as naturopaths stress using of Omega 6 fatty acids in dietary choices, and cramp bark.

You could try over the counter drugs such as ibuprofen at the onset of your symptoms. If your flu-like symptoms seem to be persisting you may wish to see your GYN to confirm if prostaglandins are truly the culprit.

Yours,
Jane

lolly6589 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Hi! I am 45 years old and I also get the same horrible symptoms a week before my period. I vomit when I eat, get super dizzy, I also break out in a cold sweat and I feel like this everyday and up until I start my period. This has been going on for over 4 months now. The primary care physician test my hormone levels and they check out fine. I think I need to see OB/GYN Doctor and ask for ultrasound check? I am a healthy eater, I do take Omega's. Any other suggestions?

lolly6589 replied to lolly6589's response:
I also need to add, Super bad low back pain and it's not from a pulled muscle. I am active and I know what a pulled muscle feels like.

OfficeGal61 replied to lolly6589's response:
I am 53, in great health and exercise regularly. I also get flu-like symptoms about a week before my period -- body aches, upset stomach and EXTREME FATIGUE. All my blood work is good -- no obvious problems. My OB/GYN has never heard of anyone else complain of this. UGH.

momothree replied to OfficeGal61's response:
I'm so glad to see these posts here because I do the exact same thing. I'm 32 and feel like I'm getting the stomach flu every single month one week before my period. I think I might have had a miscarriage about 5 months ago and haven't been the same since so I'm wondering if it's a hormone imbalance. I haven't gone to the OB/GYN yet because I'm afraid I'll just get the same response you got. Did you ever figure anything else out?

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.