Includes Expert Content
Pubic hair turning white - problem or normal?
McAn23 posted:
I'm 21 years old. I have olive/dark skin and dark hair/body hair but blue eyes. I have ADHD and take Adderall on a daily basis. A few of my friends have complained about finding random grey hairs already etc.. but I've never had this problem. Until today, I got out of the shower and realized that some of my pubic hair has started to turn white. Quite frankly, it freaked me out. I don't know how normal this is, if it could be a problem or a symptom of another problem.. Help?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear McAn: Usually public hair is not the first area of hair to begin losing pigment. Since you did not note color loss at any other site, I would wonder if you had vitiligo. Yet, with vitiligo the surrounding skin is also depigmented. If the skin loses color or increasing amounts of the pubic hair turns white see a dermatologist.

Yours,
Jane

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Howdy McAn23 and welcome!

I am sorry to hear about your grey/white pubic hair. This slideshow on What Your Hair Says about Your Health mentions grey hair and causes on slide #13. It names some causes for premature greying.

However, until you see your doctor, you don't even know if it is premature greying or something else. You'll feel a lot better if you have some answers from your doctor.

Give us an update if you have a chance,

Byroney
Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows. -Jennifer Unlimited-