Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pubic hair turning white - problem or normal?
McAn23 posted:
I'm 21 years old. I have olive/dark skin and dark hair/body hair but blue eyes. I have ADHD and take Adderall on a daily basis. A few of my friends have complained about finding random grey hairs already etc.. but I've never had this problem. Until today, I got out of the shower and realized that some of my pubic hair has started to turn white. Quite frankly, it freaked me out. I don't know how normal this is, if it could be a problem or a symptom of another problem.. Help?
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear McAn: Usually public hair is not the first area of hair to begin losing pigment. Since you did not note color loss at any other site, I would wonder if you had vitiligo. Yet, with vitiligo the surrounding skin is also depigmented. If the skin loses color or increasing amounts of the pubic hair turns white see a dermatologist.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Howdy McAn23 and welcome!

I am sorry to hear about your grey/white pubic hair. This slideshow on What Your Hair Says about Your Health mentions grey hair and causes on slide #13. It names some causes for premature greying.

However, until you see your doctor, you don't even know if it is premature greying or something else. You'll feel a lot better if you have some answers from your doctor.

Give us an update if you have a chance,

Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows. -Jennifer Unlimited-

Helpful Tips

here u go
"When it is in the abdominal area, the abdominal muscles are having these fasciculations." So that's what's happening when a person's ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.