Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
How do the new sunscreen rules affect you?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Earlier today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced that sunscreen products meeting modem standards for effectiveness may be labeled with new information to help consumers find products that, when used with other sun protection measures, reduce the risk of skin cancer and early skin aging, along with preventing sunburn.

What does this all mean?

Those sunscreen products that pass the FDA's test for protection against both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) rays will be labeled as "Broad Spectrum". Only products labeled as "Broad Spectrum" with 15 SPF or higher will now be able to state on their labels that they reduce the risk of skin cancer and early skin aging, when used as directed. Products not in this range will require a warning label stating that the product has NOT been shown to prevent skin cancer or early skin aging.

* Will these new regulations affect which sunscreens you purchase for your family?

* What types of sunscreen do you have in your house right now? UVA, UVB, both, which SPF?

* What questions would you ask the FDA about sunscreen use or these regulations?

WebMD will present our members' questions to an FDA panel today at 2 p.m.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Olivia: Sorry to have missed the deadline for questions. I would add a comment, however. I do not think women are generally clear about the differences between UVA and UVB, and their effects on skin. As one dermatologist explained:

"Think of UVA as the Aging type of rays and UVB as more the skin Burning (ie sunburn) type."

It is unfortunate that many sunscreens have not had clear labeling in the past.

Jane

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.