Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How Long is menopause?
An_197861 posted:
I am 55 and have NOT have a complete health exam since my daughter was born 22 years ago. I finally go and now the gyn. dr. suggest that I have a D and C done....I am not bleeding and hve not since 7 months ago. An vaginal ultrasound was done and it seems I may have ??? fibroids??? Should I go ahead with surgery?? Will this make me bleed again?? We did blood test, I may be onset of menopause?? In my youth my periods were irregular and heavy.
I am confused.

georgiagail responded:
Are the fibroids bothering you? If they are not, many women take the "watchful waiting" approach and do nothing in regards to having these removed.

Gail

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: Gail has spoken rightly (as usual) but you have raised some other questions as well.

1. When is menopause?--The average age for last natural period is about 50.5 years of age. Officially one is in menopause when there is 12 months of no bleeding following that last natural period. You are 55 years of age and have not bled for seven months. That coupled with an elevated result on the FSH blood test would suggest that you are probably in menopause.

2. Why a D&C for fibroids when one has not bled for seven months?--A D&C does not impact fibroids. However, the ultrasound which visualized the fibroids MAY have also seen an overly thickened lining of your uterus. In that instance, a D&C is indicated to see if the thickness is comprised of polyps of the lining or patches of abnormal cells (can be precursors of endometrial cancer). So you need to know why the D&C is suggested.

3. No, a D&C should not restart one's bleeding.

4. Some women will have postmenopausal bleeding from fibroids in the uterus. The fibroids "feed" from the blood vessels in the walls of the uterus, and thus can cause bleeding from their size and their closeness to the blood vessels.

Anon, I would urge you to ask your GYN for more of an explanation so you can make the most informed decision about your care. Your questions are very appropriate, but they need all your health records to be able to get the most "for sure" answer.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.