Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Viibryd for PMS Symptoms???
Anon_232179 posted:
My OB/GYN just proscribed Viibryd, a newer anti-depressant for my PMS symptoms. She said that it would help tenderness in my breasts in the week before my period. Also, she said it would help stabilize my mood during the luteal phase of my cycle. Is this a normal usage of Viibryd? I cannot seem to find any information regarding this treatment and I am hesitant to begin taking anti-depressants if I do not suffer from depression.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon:There are almost twenty years of good published studies on the use of selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors ("SSRI drugs") for the treatement f severe mood swings associated with the premenstrual/luteal phase. There have been numerous studies using Prozac/Sarafem, Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Celexa, Lexapro,etc. which have shown good results. Viibryd is a very new SSRI. There are no published studies of its use for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder ("PMDD")--the more severe mood type of PMS. Given that the general class of SSRI/SNRI medications are helpful for premenstrual mood problems one would hope that Viibryd would be good for this indication as well, but I could not find any published data.

Here is a recent review citation from the National Library of Medicine site on this new drug:

J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 2011 Mar;49(3):19-22. doi: 10.3928/02793695-20110203-98. Epub 2011 Feb 16.
Vilazodone: another novel atypical antidepressant drug.
Howland RH.
Source

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, 3811 O'Hara Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA. HowlandRH@upmc.edu
Abstract

This article reviews the novel atypical antidepressant drug vilazodone (Viibryd("122)), which was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in January 2011 for the treatment of major depression. Vilazodone is a dual-acting antidepressant drug, with a primary mechanism of action of blocking the serotonin reuptake transporter together with acting as a 5-HT1A receptor partial agonist. The antidepressant efficacy of vilazodone was established in two 8-week placebo-controlled studies. One long-term (52-week) open-label study has been conducted. The most common side effects are diarrhea, nausea, and headache. The drug has not been studied in pediatric patients or well studied in patients older than 65. Vilazodone is efficacious, safe, and well tolerated, but does not appear to have major efficacy advantages compared with other antidepressant drugs. However, because of its unique pharmacology and relatively benign tolerability profile, it may be a more effective alternative for patients who do not respond to or cannot tolerate currently available antidepressant drugs.

Here is a link to a site with good general information:

http://www.onlinedepressiontest.org/the-newest-medication-for-depression-viibryd/

You are correct, one does not need to have a clinical depression to benefit from short term dosing with an SSRI for marked luteral phase mood issues.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.