Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
PCOS - Blood Clots, but no period.
Anon_238265 posted:
I have PCOS, which means that my period only comes 2-4 times a year. I haven't had a "real" period in probably about 8 months, a "real" period for me is about 7 days of heavy bleeding, with the occasional blood clot. I also sometimes have severe cramping, even though I'm not having my period. My issue is that the last two times where I felt the symptoms of having my period, I passed a blood clot and figured I was starting my cycle, but it never came, just the clot. The last time was a couple of months ago and then again today, passed a blood clot, figured I was starting, but there's no blood. Is this something to be concerned about? I'm not in any pain or anything, just wondered.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Anon_238265!

Thanks so much for posting. Here's an article about Clots During Your Period that may be helpful. However, to get specific answers and treatment, you'll need to talk this over with your doctor.

Let us know how it's going,

Byroney
Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows. -Jennifer Unlimited-

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: As you have shared, periods can be infrequent with PCOS. When a bleed does start it tends to be very heavy as though several months of built up lining are shed. My best GUESS is that the passed blood clots over the past months (but no full on bleed) probably represent a partial shed of the top layer of the lining.

My concern for you is that abnormal cells can develop within a too thick lining. I actually had a 26 year old patient who developed uterine cancer; she had a lifetime history of very infrequent periods (and evidence of PCOS). It might be a good idea to talk with your GYN or local family planning clinic about options for having more regular sheds of any uterine lining. Some of these can include:

1. Hormonal forms of birth control

2. Progesterone pills to take every few months if one has not had a recent bleed. One will usually have a flow within 72 hours after using the progesterone.

Simply stated, if the uterine lining is like grass or lawn, estrogen is like the fertilizer (causes a thickening of the lining ), and progesterone is like the lawnmower (keeps the lining thin by three different mechanisms). This is why DepoProvera (high dose synthetic progesterone) brings about a thin lining, and why birth control pills (relatively progesterone dominant) bring about shorter, lighter periods. It is also why women who miss ovulations (no progesterone produced as n PCOS) are at a greater risk for too thick lining.

Thanks for asking a very important question!

Yours,
Jane

Anon_238265 responded:
Why won't it let me see the replies?!

someonewhocares3 replied to Anon_238265's response:
The original post along with the replies should display if you either 1) click on the discussion title, or 2) click on the "# replies."

Anon_238265 responded:
Thank you for your replies! Very helpful.

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.