Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
period out of wack!! can u get pregnant with tubes tide
2mamazboyz posted:
for the past few months i had had my period, it has been from 2-4 days heavy then gone for 2 weeks then back for a full 6 day heavy cycle, int he same month. next month the same thing, having 2 times and when i am done i spot the rest of the month. this month i had it for 1 day and it was super light. i walk everyday, my diet is pretty good, i haven't done anything different, just since may 2011. i also have my tubes tide, i had the tubal ligation done last march, they said i was good to go, my husband and i don't use anything, don't feel the need, but i am concernd why this is going on, it is really bothering my everyday, i know when i am supposed to start to i get ready then i don't, then it hits me another day and i have a huge mess. don't have a dr. at the moment looking for one with new insurance, so i am asking u, what is this and why am i going through this, 130 pounds, 29yrs old, very active, it used to be normal, every month from the 2-6 and easy flow. something new is going on

Take the Poll

can i get pregnant with the tubes being tide?
why is my period not normal?
is there something i can do to make this normal?
  • nothing
  • yes
vote
View Poll Results

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear 2mamazboyz: You are so right, something new is going on! In terms of your questions, let's take them one at a time. One can become pregnant after a tubal ligation. Most tubals are bilateral tubal ligations (BTLs), but there are a number of different techniques used and each has a different failure rate. One researcher looked at the 10 year cumulative failure rate for each type (Peterson, 1996):

Unipolar coagulation=0.75%
Postpartum tubal excision=0.75%
Falope or Yoon ring=1.77%
Not postpartum tubal=2.01%
Bipolar coagulation=2.48%
Hulka clip=3.65%

The time chosen for sterilization surgery is also a factor. BTLs done with clips or rings are less effective when immediately postpartum on dilated Fallopian tubes (Speroff, 1999).

The most common reason for a menstrual pattern like you have described is not having an ovulation every month. In a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month. The good news is that you have enough estrogen to make a lining that does shed sometimes.

In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation and release of an egg.. Progesterone "stabilizes" the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining—your period. So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don't decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus—as either missed period, or erratic bleeding where just the top of the lining is shed.

Causes for not ovulating are multifold: low thyroid, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with partners, boyfriends/girlfriends, finances), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc. In your specific situation, since all this had a sudden onset, an ovarian cyst MIGHT be the culprit.

As you might imagine, to treat the erratic bleeding one really has to know the exact cause. For example most ovarian cysts resolve, while low thyroid would need medication. First you should get a pregnancy test done just to rule out that distant possibility. Then you should see a GYN or even your local family planning clinic for an evaluation. A simple office ultrasound should be able to image an ovarian cyst. Bottom line, if the exact cause is no obvious to you (eg recent death in the family or bank took our house types of stress) there is not much you can do to self treat the problem.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.