Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Mirena Issues
Shanji1 posted:
Hello Nurse Jane, My doctor inserted a Mirena iud in January, since April, I have had recurrent infections. The symptoms appeared to be yeast-type infections, intense itching, inside and out. About 2 months ago, I visited a gynaecologist and she told me it appeared to be a bacterial infection and I was treated with a ten day regimen of Inserts similar to Monistat and the symptoms went away. This month again, around the time of my very light period, as before, the itching has started but it hasn't been as intense. What do you think might be happening? I have started taking acidophillus, Thanks in advance

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Shanji: The risk for yeast infections is increased when birth control pills are used (Baeten 2001, Fosch 2006). The use of a copper IUD has been linked to increased bacterial vaginosis (BV) in four studies. One study (Avonts, 1990), which followed women for two years, found that 50% of IUD users developed BV as compared to 20% of birth control pill users. More recently Ocak and colleagues (2007), followed IUD wearing women for three years. Similarly, it was shown that BV was more common in IUD wearers (11.7%), than in birth control pill consumers (5.9%) or women using neither method (2.9%). There is not as much about Mirena, but one study found 2.9% of a bad bacteria in Mirena users compared with 20% in copper IUD users (Merki-Feld, 2000).

Usually itching is more typical for yeast than for bacterial infections. If the probiotics you are now taking do not seem to fix the problem, go back to your GYN when the itching will be present for a follow up test to re-identify the culprit.

Yours,
Jane

Shanji1 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thanks Nurse Jane,
I appreciate it

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.