Skip to content
No heavy lifting ever? Post hysterectomy question
GreenXylia posted:
At my 6 week check up, post hysterectomy, I was surprised to hear that I'm not allowed to do any heavy lifting ever. I had my uterus and cervix removed. I still have my ovaries.I've been trying to figure out what that means beyond no more furniture moving. Can I go to the gym and do some weightlifting? If so how much? I'm concerned about my weight and need to figure out some sort of exercise routine, but I want to be safe. We can afford anymore medical problems!

someonewhocares3 responded:
I've never heard of this but I have heard of women being told that they shouldn't take up or resume running after a hyst because it will further increase the risk of bladder, bowel, and vaginal prolapse. I guess too much heavy lifting could do the same thing?

georgiagail responded:
I would guess that what you were told at your six week check up was inaccurate. I've lifted tons of heavy things since my hysterectomy over 10 years ago.

Gail

GreenXylia replied to someonewhocares3's response:
someonewhocares3--I think that is the why of it along with an increased risk of vaginal hernias.

It is interesting what you heard from your doctor. I never was much into running so that won't be too hard for me to not do! I love walking and hiking so that can easily be on the agenda still.

GreenXylia replied to georgiagail's response:
I wasn't really questioning why my doctor told me that-- I'm just trying to figure out how to manage it.

It is good to know though that you haven't had any ill effects from resuming heavy lifting. Perhaps in 10 years the advice has changed or maybe our situations differ somehow. Having my cervix removed was a key factor I know.

An_255763 responded:
Hello, At my seven week post op for a total abdominal hysterectomy my surgeon said, "Don't lift more than 20 pounds." I asked, "For how long?" She looked up at me with a surprised look on her face and said , "Forever." She went on to explain that ALL women over the age of 40 should refrain from lifting over 20 pounds due to risk of prolapse! I was stunned! I asked a friend who also had hysterectomy and she asked her doctor and he said the same thing!

Anon_6061 replied to An_255763's response:
Hysterectomy increases risk of pelvic floor disorders including prolapse. Here's a link of the long-term effects of hysterectomy - http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/805517.

I have heard that women should never lift anything heavy after a hysterectomy. I have never heard though that intact women should forego heavy lifting after a certain age. I recall one woman saying that her work required her to do heavy lifting daily and 20 years of this never caused a problem yet she developed prolapse fairly quickly after her hysterectomy even though she was no longer in a manual labor job.

georgiagail replied to Anon_6061's response:
Listen; I had my hysterectomy 15 years ago and besides being an RD I own 15 rental properties which we manage ourselves. I'm lifting ladders, moving furniture, carrying boards and appliances all the time (just handled plywood today to re do a shed floor). Had to clear six yards (including my own) from downed limbs from a ice storm two weeks ago.

Nothing has ever fallen out and on the floor doing any of this heavy lifting. Honestly.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.