Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Bad Vaginal odor no infection JANE HELP
smjpain posted:
I have had a odor that seems to be getting worse I saw my GYN last week he didn't say anything I am worried about it because I also have Vulvodynia and have alot of pain there but I have mentioned to him before but nothing he said to watch it because but now it is so bad that I can actually smell it when I am at work I don't like it I know I don't have infection because he has done major testing my vaginal are is sore and dry and very purple like also I am 27 and had a total hysterectomy in april for severe endometriosis I have an apt. with him on the 18th of november but I don't think this should be ignored till then especially if it is affection my work. Help I also do have frequent uti's and BV infections and yeast infections there is no discharge and I have never been sexuallly active.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear smjpain: You mentioned that testing had been done so you know that you do not have an infection. Testing in the office should pick up yeast (usually not a bad smell), BV (bad smell), trichomoniasis (bad smell), and overgrowth of lactobacilli (no bad smell). You also mentioned the vagina is dry and without discharge. Some possible explanations MIGHT include:

1. Overgrowth of one of the "normal" vaginal bacterias. When there is a pH change or hormonal change the normal bacterial balance can shift and create a different smell/color/discharge. Usually the treatment is to get the vagina back to a more healthy state rather than sequential antibiotics.

2. Lichen planus can prompt discharge and a violet color to the first third of the vaginal canal. Like your lichen sclerosus, LP is an autoimmune disorder. It can be treated with steroid rectal suppositories. But it does not make a smell.

3. New BV infection which is waxing and waning in terms of symptoms. While antibiotics such as metronidazole can temporarily knock off the BV bacteria, they can regrow unless the vagina has adequate hydrogen peroxide producing lactobacilli.

4. Atypical yeast infection with candida glabrata (not candida albicans). Typical yeast infections produce cottage cheese discharge, while this non-typical type can produce a dry, fire- engine red vagina, and spore forms of yeast instead of the long filaments of regular yeast.

If the odor symptom is so bad that you cannot work without worrying that others can smell it you should see if you can have a brief infection check . In addition to the wet mount microscope test your GYN might consider a yeast culture (expensive) or a strep culture if your wet mount does not show an obvious culprit. You should also ask if the GYN has any preferences for vaginal products designed to correct pH.

Yours,
Jane

smjpain replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thanks Jane I will talk with my GYN;s nurse in the morning hopefully they can get me in it is so embarassing for me to talk about this

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.