Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Spotting...could it just be an abnormal period?
Anon_171933 posted:
Hello, I am currently TTC. I was to get my period last Saturday, 11/12. That evening prior to bed I took a test and it was - . Then on Monday morning when still no period had arrived, I took another test and it was - . Monday afternoon I started spotting and have been spotting off and on since then. Nothing ever really hits the panty liner, it's only there when I wipe. It has been pink and red. Is it possible that my period is just whacky this month or should I take another test? I have no pregnancy symptoms. Or could something else be wrong? I haven't really had much cramping since the spotting started. Thank you.

I should mention that other months my period will last about 6-7 days and has a fairly normal flow.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: Once pregnancy is conclusively excluded (and to do that you could choose to take one more test), such "wacky periods" are usually linked to missed or erratic ovulations. The lack of usual premenstrual symptoms (including cramping) also suggests a missed ovulation this past month.

As you may know, in a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month. In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation. Progesterone "stabilizes" the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining—your period. So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don't decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus—your missed/late period. Spotting can indicate just small amounts off the top of the lining are being shed.

One common cause of missed ovulations can be the "happy stress" of trying to conceive (TTC). Unlike thyroid/pituitary problems or being very overweight or underweight, the stress of TTC usually does not interfere with ovulations over a long duration of time.

Lastly, if you develop any pregnancy symptoms be sure to get another test as it is possible to conceive before your next "real" period arrives. Also, if you have been TTC, and still have not had a period in three months, see your GYN or clinic for follow up.

Here's hoping you conceive promptly.

Yours,
Jane

Anon_171933 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you Jane. My annual is actually on the 1st so I will bring it up then. I was just concerned because today is the 9th day of spotting. I did have cramps prior to the spotting starting but not during. I will take one more test, but is spotting like this common in the beginning of pregnancy? I have read up on implantation bleeding, but not anything about it lasting this long. Thank you.

Anon_171933 replied to Anon_171933's response:
Jane - I took 2 tests - both positive. I'm worried now as most spotting has been red. I called the doctor and hope to get in tomorrow. Thank you.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to Anon_171933's response:
Dear Anon: If your tests are now positive it could mean that the spotting is connected to some type of pregnancy--thus an ectopic/tubal pregnancy may need to be ruled out. A "missed miscarriage" can also be evaluated by repeated blood pregnancy tests.

Hopefully this means that you conceived about two weeks ago, and this is "normal" spotting which can occur in early in early pregnancy. I have had women bleed as heavily as a regular period and still have a good pregnancy outcome.

Please let us know what happens.

Jane & Web MD Members

Anon_171933 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you Jane. I was unable to get in last Wednesday or Friday, but I did go for blood work on both days. I will get the results tomorrow. I am concerned though as I am still spotting red blood. I haven't had to wear a pad because it is not heavy, but there when I wipe. I am not having any cramping though which I suppose is good. Only pregnancy symptom I have experienced is some nausea every now and then. Thanks for all your help. I am trying to remain optimistic even though I miscarried in 2009. Have a good day.

Anon_171933 replied to Anon_171933's response:
Update - I got my blood work results today. 150 last Wednesday. 207 last Friday. I went in for an u/s today and there was no sign of an ectopic pregnancy. There was no gestational sac either. The doctor said unfortunately we cannot rule out an ectopic pregnancy yet b/c she's concerned after my levels did go up a bit. I am going for more b/w tomorrow. I still do not have Amy cramping.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to Anon_171933's response:
Hello Anon_171933, I just wanted to check and see how you were doing.

I hope you got some good news,

Byroney
Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows. -Jennifer Unlimited-

eac0814 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hello Byroney,

My b/w from yesterday was 679 so it has gone up. I have an appt tomorrow to discuss next steps. I'm wondering if I could actually have a viable pregnancy with spotting? The only issue is nothing on u/s, but perhaps it was too early? No cramping yet.

Thanks.

eac0814 replied to eac0814's response:
Well my appt on Thursday ended with me getting bloodwork and my levels doubled which is good! I will go on Monday for more bloodwork. Then an u/s on Thursday. I'm still concerned about the spotting of red blood. Today is the 20th day. Can this happen with a viable pregnancy?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to eac0814's response:
Dear eac: HCG levels which double in 48 hours are a good sign. And yes, one can have spotting and still have a viable pregnancy. Hope the ultrasound next Thursday shows the gestation. By my calculations you could be as much as 7 weeks, but since you had the negative tests at the time of the missed period you may be more like 6 weeks.

Let us know what happens.

Yours,
Jane

eac0814 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Jane -

I hope the u/s shows something as well. I am pretty sure we conceived on 11/05 which would mean I am 6 weeks. I guess we will know soon enough. I went this morning for the blood work and will know if my HCG levels are still rising tomorrow. My fingers and toes are crossed. What a long strange trip this has been...

Thanks.

eac0814 replied to eac0814's response:
Update. I just got my bloodwork results and my HCG level did not rise as they had hoped. It went from 1184 last Thursday to 2624 yesterday. They have changed my u/s date to today and I will be going in at 12:15 pm EST. I will keep you posted. The spotting feels like it may have picked up a little bit as well. Thanks.

StarryGrrl replied to eac0814's response:
I hope that you have a great ultrasound appt, and that everything is fine. With my last pregnancy, I had an ultrasound at 6 1/2 weeks along and they couldn't see anything in the uterus. Nine very long days later I had another ultrasound and could see my baby and the beating heart. I wanted to tell you about my experience so that if they don't see a baby via ultrasound today, don't lose heart. Your numbers are still going up! I'm no expert but that's a good thing. Let us know how it goes.

eac0814 replied to StarryGrrl's response:
Thank you Starrygrrl. After my u/s yesterday I believe they were able to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. The tech did not see anything odd. I am still waiting for the doctor to call me with a summary. The tech did see a sac in the uterus that is measuring 5 weeks, 2 days. She said she did not see anything in the sac, but that could just be b/c it's too early? She said there was still some blood in my uterus. I am trying to remain optimistic. I imagine my doctor will want me to get more blood work and schedule a follow up u/s for maybe the end of next week. I will write again once I hear from my doctor. Thank you again for reaching out. Happy Holidays.

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.