Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Gail could you reply if Jane can not?
nic14120 posted:
Could you please review my post from yesterday and possibly weigh in? I am thinking I may request a second dr to do a breast exam. I have not really done a self exam since last year, the first again in Oct after stopping breast feeding in July. So I am not 100% sure on what the norm is for my breasts, and the dr said it feels like tissue, so I am feeling like I should have a second dr feel the area in question, and do a sono if she recommends? I did read up on Thermaolgy, I may opt to pay the $200 for this if they push for an mamo, in lieu of one. What are your thoughts on these?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear nic: See my reply to your earlier posting. In terms of thermography, it is very controversial as to it's reliability as a screening tool for breast cancer. I would go with your GYN's recommendations.

Given that you have some excellent questions about breast cancer screening options check this link. It is targeted to healthcare providers, but I think you would find it useful.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/346529-overview#aw2aab6b2

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.