Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can a uterus grow back after a partial hystorectomy?
ellen_may posted:
I had a partial in which they only took my uterus. I still have everything else. So, I am not on any steroids. Have any of you heard of the uterus growing back?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear ellen_may: No, once the uterus is removed it will not regenerate. However, for women who have supposedly had ovaries removed, if a tiny fragment of ovary is left behind it can enlarge by producing cysts and continue with some hormone production. This accounts for a few women with total hysterectomies being told an ovary was visible on ultrasound.

I'm wondering if you are noticing some symptom which is usually present only with a uterus (eg vaginal bleeding or pain at the site of the uterus). If this is the case feel free to write back for a more targeted answer.

Yours,
Jane

babygirl071683 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
I question the same thing. I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 21 years old after the birth of my daughter to save my life. I then noticed I was still getting a light period. The doctor told me that I still have a piece of uterus but I cannot get pregnant. How is this when I still produce eggs and have everything except a full uterus?

You hear of tonsils and such growing back, could this occur w/ me since i still do have a piece of uterus and also get my period when it decides to come?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to babygirl071683's response:
Dear babygirl07: Gosh, that must have been a very scary birth experience for you. I'm grieved that you had to go through all that, but we are glad that you survived to raise your daughter.

Yes, you are still producing eggs (ovulation) and normal hormonal levels. Yet my best GUESS is that you received a super-cervical hysterectomy. In this type of hysterectomy the entire uterus is removed except for the cervix. If a uterus is like an upside down pear, the upper 2/3 of the uterus is like the body of the pear and the last 1/3 is the cervix which is like the stem end of the pear. The cervix can be felt inside the vagina as a firm (like the end of your nose) round mass at the back wall of the vagina.

If you had a supracervical hysterectomy (cervix left in place), there is still enough glandular tissue (same as uterine lining) lining the cervix to respond to estrogen from ovaries left in place. Since this tissue is similar to the uterine lining tissue it can produce a very scant "period". Yet there is only a tiny narrow space--too small to shelter a pregnancy.

You are correct, some body tissues will regenerate (eg damage to the liver), but the uterus is a highly specialized muscle so it will not regrow to allow for a full term pregnancy.

Babygirl07, PLEASE go back and see your OB/GYN or clinic. You deserve to know to what extent the hysterectomy removed your uterus. You can use my answer as a springboard for questions, but only a person with access to your surgical records can give you the most accurate answer.

Yours,
Jane

babygirl071683 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
thank you. I had a scare a few years back and went through excess of tests because my period stopped for four months. They checked for pregnancy and they still to this day haven't figured out what happened. The same thing is happening and the symptoms are such as pregnancy. I am hesitant to take a test bc if i am, i know what is expected due to my condition. I kept asking the doctor what exactly i had and all they said is they left a piece of uterus inside and that must be the reason why i still get a light period BUT i can't get pregnant. Which does NOT make sense to me b/c if i am getting a period, i am producing eggs to the extent of being able to produce a baby! Thank you for your time and answer- it sort of is what I was assuming yet the doctor will not tell me anything but "you can't get pregnant" even w/ a part of a uterus still inside along with every other part, including my cervix, eggs, and tubes.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to babygirl071683's response:
Dear babygirl07: Yes, you are likely producing an egg, but to get pregnant a sperm must be able to meet with an egg. If a sperm can find a way up through the cervix into the pelvis it is possible for an abdominal pregnancy to ensue. These are VERY rare, fortunately.

If you are having pregnancy symptoms you should have pregnancy ruled out. I would do the test at the GYN/clinic. At the same visit ask very clearly what part of the uterus is left. Ask them to draw a picture for you so you really understand what they are saying. Ask also if there is any way sperm can get through (eg cervix still in place but it is scarred closed at the top).

Yours,
Jane

ninos6 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
hi doctor Jane
I had a partial hysterectomy 5 years ago but now i feel like something is moving or kicking inside me and sometimes when me and my husband have sex it hurts why is that? But also that is why i had the partial hysterectomy because i had pain when I had sex. Why is it happening again? Please help me.

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.