Skip to content
Transvaginal Ultrasound unconfortable?
Anon_19077 posted:
My doctor thinks I might have cysts on my ovaries and wants me to get a transvaginal ultrasound. I'm 19 and have never been sexual active. I have read a little about the procedure and I am nervous, is it painful/ uncomfortable?

nic14120 responded:
Are they aware that you have never been sexually active? I know that when they do it transvaginally, they normally put a long probe with a camera on the end, up your vagina walls to get closer to your ovaries, but I am assuming they may just go as far as they can and magnify the best they can? I am not 100 % sure, I am guessing here. I have been sexually active prior to my first about 10 yrs ago, so it was not painful at all for me, just the probing near the cervix was uncomfortable as they needed to get a better picture, and I have PCOS, very cystic ovaries....best of luck! I used to get ovarian cysts very often in my early 20's...

Anon_19077 replied to nic14120's response:
Yes, I told my doctor that I'm not sexual active and have never had a pap smear. But he thinks PCOS has been causing all my issues, and that any other type of ultrasound wont be able to view cysts on my ovaries. I didn't know so many women had PCOS till I just started reading online.

Anon_5366 replied to Anon_19077's response:
Transvaginal scanning has the advantage of providing additional information about the internal makeup of the ovarian mass.

They will let you insert the wand when you have the transvaginal ultrasound if you prefer to.

Keep us posted when you have time.

Take care.

An_240941 responded:
PCOS is actually fairly common in women. Surprisingly most women get an overian cyst at least once in their life time. Some women get them all the time & don't even know it & it causes them no pain & some women get them & it's excruciating. I have had them & for me it's awful & they put me on pain meds & allow them to go away on their own. I only had one that was dangerous enough to possibly twist my ovary upon bursting & I was put on bed rest for it. Anyway, Vaginal ultra sounds don't hurt. The camera is about as wide as a super tampon I would say( or at least not much bigger), but it's long. They will lube it so it goes in easy & they will let you put it in yourself if you're more comfortable with it that way. I'm sorry about your cystic issues, but on a better note congrats for staying a virgin. That's a great accomplishment & a difficult one now a days...especially with the amount of peer pressure there is now. Anyway that's something to be proud of.

Anon_19077 replied to An_240941's response:
I went 2 days ago to get the ultrasound done. The technician asked if I had been sexual active an when I told her I had not, she said that they wouldn't do a transvaginal ultrasound. So they just did a pelvic ultrasound instead to look for cysts on my ovaries. I don't know how conclusive the results will be though. I'm sill waiting to find out the results from the radiologist though.

And thanks An_240941, I have had boyfriends but I haven't
been in a relationship that I felt committed enough to, to actually have sex with the guy. I feel like sex is something special even if that makes me sound lame, but its my morals, body, and decision. I do feel like the media, and a lot of my generation makes it seem "lame" or "uncool" to stay a virgin till you find someone you care about or even marriage. But idk that's just how I feel!

An_240941 replied to Anon_19077's response:
Well I'm glad the went with an alternative for you. It's not uncool at all to stay a virgin & anyone who thinks it is has self esteem issues. People usually have sex young due to peer pressure causing them to feel insecure about themselves if they don't cave in & become another statistic. The truth is you're obviously secure with who you are & have better self esteem then a lot of young women your age. I lost my virginity when I was 14yrs old. 14 yrs old hunny. I was way too little to truly comprehend the full extent of what was going on or what you should feel or what could happen to me. I was pregnant by 17 & lost my baby & now I'm going on 26 w/ 2 little girls, but now I'm married & my girls have the same dad & that's my husband. Be proud that you're not following the trend, that you are true to yourself, & that you're being a responsible young adult. I wish I had been like that when I was your age & I can only hope my daughters will have those values. Don't get me wrong, the guy I lost my virginity to I was with for 6yrs, I was never promiscuous, I've never done drugs, I don't drink, or anything else like that... but bottom line I was still too young.

Anon_5366 replied to Anon_19077's response:
Glad they did a pelvic ultrasound.

Morals, your body, good for you! I do not think you are "uncool" matter of fact I think you are very cool! You do NOT sound lame, you sound like you can think for yourself. I waited until I got married and I am glad I did.

chemaaa responded:
These tests are the equivalent of medical rape. and usually not necessary. an external test is most often more than sufficient. Doctors are extremely insensitive to the fact that their patients are human beings.. They are trained that way. Why should a woman have to strip down naked, including bra, to have a colonoscopy? I once was told to get naked from the waste-up for an xray on my elbow.
To degrade a human in that way - serves only one purpose.(but that's another story)

georgiagail replied to chemaaa's response:
Is there some point to pulling up 3 year old posts simply to rant?

Gail

newgirl2010 replied to chemaaa's response:
transvaginal ultrasounds really are a simple and painless procedure. If there is a suspicion of ovarian cysts or fibroids--this procedure is a good way to detect it. I just had one this week. It honestly felt no different than having a yearly gyno exam. I understand if you are a virgin there would be potentially more discomfort.

my gyno is really sensitive and so is the tech who preformed the ultrasound. I wore a dress and didn't have to disrobe except for removing my underwear (obviously).

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.