Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Large Ovarian Cyst
ajohnson08099 posted:
I was just diagnosed today with an ovarian cyst measuring 15cm by 14 cm by 10cm or Approx: 6 inches x 5.5 inches x 4 inches. I don't know what type of cyst just yet.. But does anyone know the procedures for a cyst that large? Can it be as symple as just draining it if its a simple cyst or what should I expect? I am trying not to get nervous its just by the shear size I am kind of at my wits end on how something that big can just be hanging out in my gut.

Please if anyone can give any information I'd just appreciate. I just need some good information.

nic14120 responded:
I too had a large cyst at one time that was discovered because I had so much pain that radiated down the front of my right leg! One OB that I saw at the time wanted to do a procedure to go in through my belly button to drain it. (they usually always were able to tell me from the sono if it was just a benign cyst) did they say you have a cyst or a mass? I went to my sisters OB for a second opinion at the time and he recommended I start BC pills to stop ovulating, in which I did, and within months it was shrinking and gone. I wish you all the best! Maybe you can explore the option of BC, instead of a procedure? I didn't want to have them go in and create any possible scar tissue if I did not have to...

ajohnson08099 replied to nic14120's response:
It was just a phone call today to tell me the set up an appointment with my Gyn that I had a cyst. Not really a lot of info to go on and I didn't think to ask at the time.

I've heard of doing BCP for cysts, but I didn't know if it counted if they got a certain size. I have until the 10th to worry before I see a doctor, so hopefully I will find enough good information before then so I won't worry so much. Thank you so much!!

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.