Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pubic Hair Removal
An_242429 posted:
Ok, I have a question. I've heard of lots of women removing pubic hair and I know it's quite popular. First, do men prefer having a clean shaven area on their women? What is recommended for removal and how much should you remove? Also is it too exposing for some women?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

An_240941 responded:
Personally I get rid of it all. I don't like having pubic hair & my husband doesn't like me to have too much...he would like if I had a "landing strip" (a line of pubes in the middle kept short), but I don't like having any. As for how much you keep or remove, it's up to you...whatever you prefer & think looks best on you, but I think it's typically preferred that women keep it short...at least now a days...I guess it's considered more clean looking & fashionable now. As far as how to remove it..you could shave it yourself or wax it yourself...but you get less stubble & have to shave or wax less & get a cleaner look if you get it done professionally, besides a professional can shape it however you want...you just have to tell them what you want. With a professional you can even get shapes done or initials or whatever if you wanted, but obviously professional waxing gets a little more expensive. Hope that helped & good luck on your decision.

georgiagail replied to An_240941's response:
It seems a lot of this depends on your age; younger women tend to like to have this removed.

I'm older and frankly, I don't like the naked chicken look. In addition, by the time I get done shaving armpits, legs and crotch, the hair has started growing back. I tried shaving it once and the stubble drove me crazy; I wondered why there weren't more women arrested for scratching themselves down there in public.

My partner hates shaved pubes; once attempted to perform oral sex on a woman who shaved this area and ending up feeling he was cutting his face to ribbons from the stubble.

Gail

HKW20 replied to georgiagail's response:
So if I were to prefer an in home Brazilian Wax. What products does anyone recommend for me to try. I'm not willing to spend a whole bunch of money getting it professionally done but I am willing to try it myself. Any suggestions?

fcl replied to HKW20's response:
Don't do it at home the first time. Waxing can be extremely painful if you don't know what you're doing. Get it done professionally the first time and make use of your time to pick up as many tips as you can.

An_240941 replied to fcl's response:
I agree with that. It's better to have it done professionally the 1st time & then do it yourself each time after. That way they already set the mark if you plan on keeping any amount there still & you just have to follow it there after. & with waxing you don't have the stubble effect that you can sometimes get with shaving...although I shave & then I put deodorant on after & there is no stubble issues & no razor burn issues. I use to wax, but it's too expensive for me in my currant financial situation. My husband has never complained of it hurting him & I don't think it looks like a naked chicken, but thanks gail you're entitled to your opinion no matter how offensive it may sound...oh & I don't scratch down there & have never had issues with itching in that region. Anyway, preference does seem to very based on age (for men & women), although I have noticed that older women are starting to trim more down there then they use to just not going all the way bare down there.

ajramirez25 replied to An_240941's response:
To help with the itching when the hair starts to grow back, I exfoliate the skin down there. Exfoliation also helps with ingrown hairs.

karath23 responded:
dont think age really matters as im 52, its all about preferance really. I did it initially because my boyfriend asked me to, and i removed it all, not myself but professionally. I advise anyone to go that route, and the more you do it the less that grows back so the less frequent you will need to go. I have also read something from a gynecologist that said it was much cleaner and healthier to be "naked" down there!

An_242506 responded:
I feel that it is up to you! I myself shave and leave a landing strip becuz 1 its cleaner and i don't want to look like a child with no hair but to each there own. I am not a hairy person so its not that hard to maintain and i have been shaving a long time. I just turned 52 and will shave for as long as i can lol! I do feel its clean to do! My husband of 34 yrs.loves it:) Wish you the best! Try it cuz you can always grow it back! Oh my husband shaves his and i love it:) wish you the best:)

Policarp replied to karath23's response:
I prefer my woman being "naked" in her vaginal area. Lots of hair can abraid a man's penis.

phybla6218 replied to ajramirez25's response:

Tthis is interesting what is exfoliate mean. I look up but did not find out what it was?

An_242507 responded:
I decided to get rid of my pubic hair as it is long, and would sometimes bind up in underwear edges, etc. It also made my crotch too hot in the summer when I drove buses - I'd get an awful rash because it trapped moisture. And guys like it gone - I've never heard differently (my guy LOVES it). It's much cleaner and eliminates almost any odors, as hair is what traps odors. SO much easier to keep that area clean without it, too, especially if you are menstrual. I can't afford salon services (and never mind, that would be WAY too personal for my taste), so I went the DIY route and have had great results. I am fair-skinned and my hair is dark and coarse - waxing was ineffective as it wasn't strong enough to pull out a lot of the hair and it was painful because that's done with larger areas. (Messy, too.) Waxing is best for fine hair. Shaving was a nightmare - again, because the hair is coarse/thick, the cut edges were like sandpaper when they grew back - rash and itching - it was agonizing! Epilation was the only option for me, and it works! I first tried an Emjoi epilator, but eventually got a Braun, as it is better designed and sturdier. Costs about $50. Came with different heads - most importantly, one that shaves the hair down to 1/4", which is optimal for epilation. I also got a single-tweeze epilator (from Emjoi) for about $20 - that one is crucial to have for more-sensitive areas and getting into nooks and crannies, so to speak. That's the one I use for most of the pubic area - it takes longer, but is less painful as it only does a hair or two at a time. What's great about epilation is that the hair grows back with a soft tip, rather than the cut-off end left after shaving, so there is no stubble! You can also do a little bit at a time, to reduce pain. For the first time, you will want a cold washcloth to press on the area afterward - that helps. There also may be topical products to reduce pain and swelling. I found that after the first treatment, there was less pain, and in some places now, there is no pain at all - just a tugging sensation. Also, when you repeatedly pull a hair out, after a time, it won't grow back because the root gets so scarred. That's what happens to plucked eyebrows, so be careful how much you take out! I epilate my hands and arms (which has baby-fine hair - it began growing longer as I got older), chin (it's great for this), armpits, legs, and pubic area, including at the top of my thighs (groin) which had always been a problem for me - I always had to wear skirts or shorts on a bathing suit - now I can wear a regular one! Do remember, though, epilation can cause a "plucked chicken" look for a day or two, depending on how sensitive your skin is, so don't do it right before an event where you'll be exposing your skin. They say it lasts 6-8 weeks, but I've never been able to go more than a week - not sure if that's because I missed hair, or it grows back at different rates, or if it's fast-growing, but it is still worth the time - just that feeling of smoothness and never having stubble again makes it SO worth it. BTW, I am 57 - women want to be sexy at any age!!

PamiejuneSLP replied to phybla6218's response:
Exfoliate means to "scrape" the skin, so a loofah or any other kind of scrubbie kind of device will work. They sell gloves that do this as well - it takes off the top layer of skin - other methods go deeper, like chemical peels and dermabrasion. It "freshens" up dull skin and can prevent ingrown hairs.

Hotlights replied to HKW20's response:
I'd go to a cosmetic store for professional (we have a Sallys near us ) I do my own waxing in the privacy of my bathroom. I purchased a hot pot to melt the wax then use paper strips that are located right next to all the waxing products. It's easy to be standing up and looking in the mirror. I don't take it all off. Just a landing strip . I'm 50 and still very proud of the way I try to maintain my body. good luck let me know if I can help further

Hotlights replied to fcl's response:
In agreement!

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 100 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.