Skip to content
Best Birth Control pill that doesn't make you gain weight or cause depression?
Concernedbutterfly posted:
I know your probably thinking, wow, that would be a miracle, but I could use any help or suggestion to narrow it down to a good one. I was in the past taking Sprintec, then my friend talked me into getting Mirena. I was sold on the idea of light to no periods, but lately I have had some horrible side effects. I have had my hair start to thin, I have gained about 25 to 30 pounds in a year, I went from perfect sleep to now sleeping my normal 7 hours during weekdays and still feeling tired all day and on the weekends with no alarm to wake me sleeping 10 hours or more and still feeling tired all day, I'm moody and emotional, I have no sex drive and can't stand even being touched (not like me at all I'm a hugger,or used to be), when I workout I feel like the IUD is poking me, and when I researched this all on the internet I came across several forums about Mirena doing all of that, so I'm going to have it removed. I'm looking for any suggestions of which pills can help with some of my other health issues, one that doesn't cause weight gain, helps with mild depression (no longer on meds doc says I'm not that severe any more) and a pill that is well known and can be trusted. I have tried Yasmin in the past but quit it when it was recalled a few years ago, and I was taking ortho-tri cyclen but was switched to Sprintec because Kaiser no longer carries the name brand, and I gained weight on it. Please help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

RoseLynn02 responded:
I was on the depo shot for a long time & had no periods, no weight gain, no mood swings, & no depression. Loved it! The only thing I didn't like was I spotted for 3 months straight after the 1st shot but it stopped completely after the second & It took over a yr for me to get my period back after I got off of the shot & yet I still had to be careful because you can get pregnant as soon as you stop taking it. I don't really care for any of the other birth control methods personally. Hope that helps.

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.