Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Severe cramping pain after erotic dreams & orgasms......help!
CrampyMcCrampster posted:
About 2 weeks up until my period starts, I will wake in the middle of the night, (or morning) after a sexual dream, which causes me to orgasm, instantly I get menstural like cramps, which build in severity over the next 20 minutes or so......during this time I usually have about 3 bowel movements, spaced about 5 minutes apart each. Sometimes when this happens, I dont know if I am going into shock or what, but I start hyperventilating. Usually the pain lasts no longer than 30 minutes....but when its happening its so painful I can hardly stand it, and nothing makes me comfortable. Anyone know what this is? I think Dr's think I am nuts as they always dismiss it by saying its commom for cramps to happen after orgasm. But these cramps are so much more severe than any other cramps I have had. Help please ! This has been going on for about 15 years, and dont know how much more of this I can take. This happens several times a month. Sometimes I hate going to sleep afraid this will happen. Its cruel.

(39 years old, never had kids, never been on birth control. I think I have endo, and pretty sure I have IBS.)

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear CrampMcCrampster: As you have correctly stated, many women will have strong uterine, and even anal, contractions during orgasm. In some women this contributes to the perceived intensity/pleasure; for other it can induce an intolerable pain. Yet usually bowel stimulation is not a part of uterine contractions from orgasm. Moreover you mention that these cramps are worse than other uterine cramps (eg menstrual cramps?).

Your surmise about probably having IBS may offer some clue. Bowel spasms can be very severe---such that people end up in an ambulance to the ER because they cannot be comfortable in any position. Giving a medication which can relax bowel spasm can help sort out what is pelvic pain vs bowel pain. Here is a good overview of IBS, including treatments:

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/ibs/#treatment

It is hard to know why orgasm during sleep (with probable pelvic muscle and uterine contractions) would trigger rapid, multiple stools, or initiate bowel spasms. If orgasm included release of prostaglandins THAT could explain the cramps and increased bowel activity.Multiple literature searches at the National Library of Medicine site did not yield any good answers.

If you have already raised this issue with your GYN to no avail, perhaps you might want to consult with a gastro-enterologist.

Yours,
Jane

sarahxpettit responded:
This same exact thing has been happening to me for about a year now and im only 17, almost 18. My doctors can't figure it out and i also think they think im a little crazy. My pain is so intense that i throw up from it. If you find out what it is can you please let me know because it happened to me 2 times last week and i can't stand it. If you find out anything, please please please let me know. Thank you so much

sqeak45 replied to sarahxpettit's response:
I was surfing the web trying to find information on this same thing. It happened to me last night, though it has happened in the past. Always in the second half of my cycle, and always after a sexual dream. Once the cramping starts, I can't stop it. Last night I thought I was going to die. I managed to swallow 4 Advil but it took about an hour for the pain to subside. I was sweating, my heart was racing, and I felt nauseous. It felt like a really bad menstrual cramp that was followed by a bowl movement. It's crazy. I too am afraid to fall asleep tonight because I'm afraid it will happen again. How my husband slept through all of this is beyond me.

Kelsiedduvall replied to sqeak45's response:
Chances are you have endometriosis and fibroids. The cramps from this usually last 20-30 mins. They are severe. I have had it for years and I try to just lay down breathe in and out and hope they go away soon. Advil does not help. You can go to your GYN and request am ultrasound to confirm cysts. You can also schedule a surgery to remove them. But that doesn't mean they won't come back. A low dose of hormones can also help with the cramps.

little1ru replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Although this question wasn't posted by me, I too have the same trouble. Just wanted to say thank you for your time and research on this one. It was very kind and sweet of you.

Endofibropelvicmyalgia responded:
I see you posted this two years ago but assuming that you still,suffer with this, and if you don't any more let us know what you did to make it go away. I too have suffered with this for about 6 yrs. it got worse as I was in treatment for fertility procedures and taking a lot of hormones. I thought at first it was cysts bursting, or my worse thought was that I had gotten pregnant and about a week in, my insides attacked the embryo. (10 years of fertility treatments and no luck) I understand that because I have severe endometriosis I have an access of prostolglanis which causes the cramps, but why it happens after a sex dream is still such a mystery, or why you even get sex dreams really? My friends think I'm lucky when I start to tell them my story but then I say, NO NOT lucky! It's horrible, I have what I believe labour cramps would feel like for 20-30 minutes and then poof, pain gone. I have gotten better at dealing with the pain by breathing through and doing a mix of curling up and then stretching out my legs with deep breaths. I am posting here because more people need to know they are not alone! And the more we tell our dr's the more they might listen.

fate691 responded:
I was diagnosed with endometriosis six years ago. No treatment has given me much relief but I continue to take birth control which keeps me from having cycles and pain. But occasionally I will experience cramping and intense cramping at night after having a sexual dream. As soon as the intense cramping starts I grab my electric heating pad and press it on my abdomen. My heating pad has been a life saver and I recommend it for anyone with endo. After lying still for several minutes with my heating pad the cramping goes away.

dante43 responded:
I've been searching the web for a long while too It hasn't been going on for as long, and the pain is shorter and less intense, but it is definitely a recurring problem all of a sudden and it happens maybe 4-5 times a month consistently and wakes me up.

I'm 19, on depo injection birth control, with a single 4-year partner that I see infrequently. we don't use protection but I'm surer than anything that he and I are clear of ST-anythings.

I'm just as confused as everyone here as I know I have sexual dreams and orgasm because of them, and then follow these cramps, painful enough to wake me up. I have to breathe through them and they're usually gone within a few minutes, but my abdomin still feels tender afterward. This is any time I sleep, whatever time of day, (it just happened to me whilst taking an hour nap at 4pm) never whilst actually having sex or anything else whilst awake.

I figured it was just muscles contracting and cramping due to a lack of excercise and bloodflow beforehand? Since I regularly attend a gym and know the importance of warming up and stretching in order to exercise effectively. After reading this though I'd like to be aware of any updates just incase.

aralced replied to dante43's response:
I have suffered this very problem for 25 years. I haven't seen a doctor but have worked out a way that seems to cut it short. I go straight to the toilet and push as if having a bowel motion or actually force the motion until it eases up. So far it has always worked.

I do feel that awful sense of dread when I wake up and realise that is coming on.

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.