Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Missed period 8.5 years after tubal ligation
DesignerGa posted:
I am 18 days late when I have always been very regular. I am 38 and had tubal ligation 8 1/2 years ago. Two pregnancy tests have both produced a negative result. Help! Any idea what could be going on? I have been experiencing a high volume of migraines and headaches in general as well as fatigue.

someonewhocares3 responded:
Tubal ligations can cause hormonal problems. Although yours was done years ago, it seems like it could explain your issues similar to how hysterectomy can cause early menopause. The uterus, ovaries, and fallopian tubes work as a unit so any procedure on these organs can disrupt their functioning. Here's a link about Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome - http://tubal.org/symptoms_of_pts.htm

Hope you start feeling better!

tlkittycat1968 responded:
It's possible you did not ovulate and usually no ovulation means no period. This will happen to most women at least once during their reproductive years. No reason why it happens and just because it's never happened to you before doesn't mean it can't.

I wouldn't worry unless you miss a second period and are still getting negative test results. If that happens, see your doctor.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.