Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Nose Bleeding with Menstrual Cycle
claypearl posted:
I have started to get nose bleeds when I'm on my menstrual cycle. If I sneeze any time during my period my nose bleeds and it won't stop for at least 5 mins of holding my head back wth tissue plugging it. Is there something wrong with me that I should get checked out.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear claypearl (cool screen name!): MULTIPLE literature searches at the National Library of Medicine failed to yield any good studies on nosebleeds during menstruation. There is a small amount written about a genetic disorder where nosebleeds may have a diurnal appearance (more in AM than PM), but nothing about menses.

There is an enzyme produced by the lining of the uterus designed to keep menstrual blood from clotting. This allows the menstrual fluid to more readily pass out of the tiny cervical canal and into the vagina. When a woman is bleeding very heavily during her period the amount of flow surpasses the amount of enzyme--thus leading to passage of large clots. However, the action of this enzyme is localized to the inside of the uterus so it should not have anything to do with inability of nose blood to clot.

Bottom line, this is one for an ENT MD rather than a GYN. An ear,nose & throat MD can hopefully give you the most "for sure" answer to the nose bleeds.

Yours,
Jane

Christen26 responded:
I am not rendering a professional or expert opinion, but I have this very problem. I asked my GYN some years back but she said there is no correlation. I find this hard to believe, because at 52, I am still getting a menstrual cycle, HORRID pms, and like clockwork, every month, I have very increased amounts of blood in my nose. For me, it seems like a massive overload of fluid in my entire body, due to water retention. I did google this issue just now,and it seems there are multiple links; hence others clearly have this same problem. Glad you posted!

nervousinnewjersey replied to Christen26's response:
I agree with you Christen26. I def think there is a connection because this is happening to me as well! Now, 2 facts about me, I have been getting nose bleeds since I was a kid [my DAD gets them to and others on his side of the family> and I also suffer with HORRIBLE PAIN each and every month of my ENEMY [menstral cycle> ever since the first time I got it. there never used to be a connection, however, during this past year, I will get a nosebleed right before my enemy begins within an hour! it's very strange. I would love to know why this is happening.

gussy88 replied to nervousinnewjersey's response:
I agree as well. I too get nose bleeds with my cycle. As I turned 40 and in the few years since my cramps have increased from nothing to severe, and flow is significantly heavier. I am 43 now and these symptoms have been going on for 3-4 years. I think the cramps and flow intensity is due to age but I have never heard anything about the nosebleeds. I would also like to know the cause. I was unable to get pregnant, don't know if this is a coincidence or some sort of related issue.

missmal responded:
I'm only 19 and just today I was sitting in my class at school and I got a bloody nose. Sure enough by the time I got home I had gotten my period. Now this has happened to me other times but today i googled it and found this post. At least I know I'm not alone. And like another lady said I also had nose bleeds all the time as a child. I just wish i knew what was causing it and if there was some way to stop it or at least try to control it.

fiyah replied to missmal's response:
Time to do a study on this because I get nosebleeds too during my cycle. There was something online, see below link:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_nosebleeds-during-pregnancy_255.bc

diamonds4eva46 responded:
I have been doing research and I found out about something called vicarious menstruation which is typically in the left nostril, happens during the first day or your period and usually occurs when your cycle is abnormal ( all are true regarding me and my nosebleeds as well). Hope this helped and gave you a starting point for some understanding.

jenscandyland responded:
Yes I have had the same thing happen. I have always called it my overflow. Lol. Its my warning my period is on its way. Never fails. Sometimes it sticks around, off and on during my period.

bluebird427 responded:
I had this problem for a while, and sometimes it still happens, but not to the extent of a solid nosebleed. Sometimes I'll get an itchy spot in my nose, and when I get a tissue to "scratch" it, I often end up with a small blood spot, and it always happens during the menstrual cycle. I personally think that sometimes, the female body just has higher blood pressure and it tries to find a way to release some extra (the nose being the easiest). It could just also be that a body under stress, and under-hydrated, could producing a nosebleed. This is just my opinion, which is not a professional one.

anniemoose responded:
I've also had bloody noses since I was a kid. I get them BAD. They usually only last five minutes, but my hand fills with blood by the time I can get to the bathroom for tissues. And I always get one or two during my period. I found a blog about vicarious menstruation, then this abstract I thought was interesting: [br>http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=1123748 [br>I'm not paying for the article, but it's interesting to me that they knew something about this problem back then and seem to have forgotten or dismissed it nowadays. BS!

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.