Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
starting Birth control
annony01 posted:
I've just started Yaz, this is my 5th tablet/day. I took birth control pill many yrs ago so can't remember the initial symptoms.

I feel so tired. I also take inderal for migraine prevention which makes me feel tired anyway. How long does it normally take before the initial symptoms wear off? I am struggling to function and feel motivated about anything!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear annony: You are correct about the sense of fatigue that can be a side effect of beta blockers (eg Inderal). Fatigue is not a common side effect of birth control pills. However, the literature on Yasmin (higher estrogen form of Yaz) states the following:

Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), corticosteroids (eg, prednisolone), cyclosporine, theophylline, tizanidine, or troleandomycin because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Yasmin.

(from
http://www.drugs.com/cdi/yasmin.html )

For some of the more common side effects (eg nausea) of birth control pills it can take as little as a few days for a symptom to get better. Then sometimes a symptom can get better, then returns briefly when a new pack is started. Overall, most side effects are resolved within a couple of packs. If not then a change to a different brand, or formulation, can be helpful.

In your specific case you may need to monitor the fatigue and if it does not resolve you should return to your GYN. I could not find this drug-drug interaction statement with other formulations of BCPs.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.