Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
I don't understand
Roughneckswife posted:
I had my tubes tied after my youngest son was born in 2005. Since then my periods have gotten worse. It feels like my ovaries are bein squeezed in a vise grip. It also feels like my baby makin parts are tryin to fall out. I was told my cramps n periods would get worse after havin my tubes tied but nobody told me anything bout this. I'm scared to go to a dr what can i do?

georgiagail responded:
Possibly Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome:

http://www.tubal-reversal.net/post_tubal_ligation_syndrome.htm

Reversal of this is done for some women.

Gail

Roughneckswife replied to georgiagail's response:
but is there a chance of gettin preg with this i already have 3 boys and my youngest is 6

someonewhocares3 replied to Roughneckswife's response:
Same thing I was going to say - could be PTLS - http://tubal.org/symptoms_of_pts.htm

And yes, you could be pregnant - ectopic or normal.

Let us know what you find out.

Roughneckswife replied to someonewhocares3's response:
well i visited the web site u suggested n the office is in north carolina n its a $6000.00 for everything n the only problem is due to havin my tubes tied i cant get any type of medical thru the state my husband just started a new job n it will b at least 90 days before we can get insurance n the other problem is the insurance wont cover pre existing medical problems. i think that is stupid so the only way i feel i can go now is to get everything taken out n im only 27. the only way that can happen is if there is a medical reason for it. 90% of the women in my family have had to have theirs taken out n i fear im destined to take that long scary road also.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Roughneckswife: The new onset pain in your ovaries MIGHT be scar tissue (or some surgically related issue) from the tubal ligation, but the female organs "trying to fall out" is not likely related to the tubal. You may have pelvic prolapse. This would not be considered a prior condition since it is not related to a tubal ligation. As soon as your insurance kicks in you should see a GYN about both problems. A GYN does have some discretion in deciding if a condition is described as pre-existing.

You mentioned that other women in your family have had hysterectomies. It would be good if you could find out the exact reasons for their surgeries. That could give a GYN better information to use in predicting your actual risk for a hysterectomy. I sincerely hope that you will not need a hysterectomy. A hysterectomy is really the last step, not the first treatment choice (except in cancer).

Yours,
Jane

someonewhocares3 replied to Roughneckswife's response:
There's a good chance that most of the women in your family didn't really NEED a hysterectomy. ACOG says that 76% of them don't meet their criteria for the surgery.

Although you're suffering, it sounds like you're well aware of the consequences of hysterectomy based on the experiences of family members. Here's a short video explaining the lifelong functions of the female organs -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5IOSj1l7w

Since you have some time before insurance kicks in, maybe you can peruse some PTLS forums and find out what has worked for other women (e.g., supplements, diet, procedures). The website I posted previously has a forum. I've connected with a couple of women who've dealt with hormonal issues since their tubal and HRT and various supplements have helped them although it may not be the answer for you. An integrative, functional medicine (non-surgeon) doctor or nutritionist may be albe to help you in this area.

I don't know much about the success rate of tubal reversal but if it's high, it may be worth it, not only for short-term symptoms but for long-term overall health. If you go to a gyn or radiologist, a procedure of some sort (e.g., hysterectomy, ablation) may very well be recommended as those are their big revenue streams.

I made the mistake of trusting my gyn of 20 years when I developed a large ovarian cyst. He removed all my sex organs despite the cyst being benign. My life's been in a tailspin ever since.

BTW - I have a friend who applied for insurance after she lost her job and husband post-hysterectomy and hysterectomy was defined as a pre-existing condition. I don't know if tubal ligation is pre-existing for insurance purposes. But uterine prolapse is listed as a PTLS risk (#18 on the website I provided).

Hope this helps! Keep us posted.

Roughneckswife replied to someonewhocares3's response:
know its been a while but since i was last on here i found out that i had an abnormal pap n am goin in the 27th for a biopsy cervical cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!! dr has already told me no on a hysterectomy he wants to try other evasive procedures first

smjpain replied to someonewhocares3's response:
One question I am wondering why you are so against Hysterectomy there are millions of women who had one because they were in so much pain and had multiple surgeries and a Hysterectomy was there's and mine last resort and now I don't suffer. My GYN only did this procedure because he had no other choice maybe you need to get some counselling.

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.