Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Elongated piece of something hanging from my vagina?
An_243405 posted:
I have this thing on the outside of my vagina, I'll try to describe it but I was wondering if anybody else had it or if it sounded normal...

It's an elongated piece of skin(?) that starts immediately below the hole for my vagina. It's probably about an inch long and 1/8 of an inch thick. It's cylindrical and fairly bright pink (similar color to the inside of my vagina). It dosen't hurt, actually I don't even think I would know somebody was touching it if they were. I can squeeze it and it's squishy. It dosen't exactly feel like a piece of my hymen hanging down or anything, seems too thick for that. It's really awkward because it hangs below the lips of my vagina, so I don't like it at all.

I wish I could post a picture of it somewhere legitimate and ask, but I have no idea where I could do that...I hope this description is enough. Does anybody know what it is?
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear An: There are a couple of POSSIBLE explanations. It might be a hymenal tag (tissue remnant from the hymen). "Variations in the embryologic development of the hymen are common" according to a Medscape review of hymenal condiitons. It could also be a skin growth that has advanced in size over time. Here is a link to a dermatology atlas which has photos of various types of genital skin tags (mostly in infants):

I would strongly urge you to see a GYN for a most accurate answer. Tags like the one you have described can be easily removed for cosmetic appearance, avoidance of local trauma, and laboratory confirmation of tissue source.

An_247098 responded:
think i have this same thing, i dont know what to do about it. please help
georgiagail replied to An_247098's response:
The recommendation is to see a GYN for an accurate diagnosis.


Helpful Tips

My problem
I am 18yrs old female. I am a very sensitive and innocent girl. This incident happened last year. I had an affair with my boyfriend. After ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.