Skip to content
14 yr old, tons of problems...
low79 posted:
My daughter is 14. She started her period at 11. In the first year it was random, but quickly became regular for about a year.

I started noticing her periods were further apart, sometimes skipping months. She's gained alot of weight, especially around her midsection, even though she's extremely active.

Acne is so out of control that her dermatologist told me he can't recommend any other treatments.

Mood swings are off the charts, erractic appetite (sometimes she's starving, other times she'll go all day without eating).

She feels sluggish at times, and even pale.

When she does have a period, they are very very heavy.

A close friend suggested that maybe she has PCOS, but her doctor doesn't feel that anything is related to the other.

What's your opinion? What tests should I ask for to determine PCOS.

jk5493 responded:
Well, I was going to say consider PCOS or Cushing's. For me, this was the similar case and my doctors, as well and an endocrinologist, suggested these two.

Hormone levels/androgen levels should be checked. I don't know the specifics, however, her doctor should. Also, they should check her cortisol IF Cushing's is suspected. With this being said, neither of these are a for sure diagnosis because there are many things that can mirror them. So, it's best to find a doctor who can evaluate everything. If you have insurance, I HIGHLY recommend getting in to see a pediatric endocrinologist because it is their job to look at EVERY aspect of the kiddo's life from when you were pregnant with her to how she is now.

Best of luck,
Jade

ps. I have PCOS with a r/o of Cushings that is still evaluated every now and again because my cortisol levels were raised after a supression test and my transvag. ultrasound revealed tons of cysts, but not in the typical 'pearl strand' appearance. also, my androgen levels aren't raised and I'm not insulin resistant. So, I'm kind of an in-between case.

low79 replied to jk5493's response:
Thanks for the information. We will be making that appt. with the ped. endocrin. today!.
Her regular ped. doesn't feel the need, so I'm sure I'm going to have an issue with my insurance on the referral end. I may end up changing peds. just to get the referral.

jk5493 replied to low79's response:
Even if they dont' feel the need, it's better to be reassured. Sometimes, periods are just really erratic in the first few years for gals. They may wait to diagnose her after maybe 5 years or so of having her period, although it should only take 2 years for her flow to regulate if all is normal.

Good luck, though! Keep me posted on what goes on. It would be nice if the ped. would just make the referral anyhow to be on the safe side. I mean, not that PCOS is by any mean fatal in and of itself... but, it's better to get a hold of it earlier than later.

Jade

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.