Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Pain in chest up thru neck to ear
Katishome posted:
Hey, first of all I have hypothyroidism and am on levothyroxine for it. Ok so 2 nights ago I was laying in bed watching TV and I had pain in the middle of my chest the pain went all up my neck to my ear on my right side. It was a dull pain. It only lasted a few min. Then the next night same place in bed I had some chest pain again thats all. Just a dull pain in the middle of my chest. I have mitral valve prolapse and years ago was on a beta blocker but took myself off b/c my anxiety meds. where keeping me from having the palipatations so i didnt see the need to take them any more. This is the first time I have had any thing like this happen before. i do smoke and have for around 30 yrs. and Im 49 yrs. old. Im not in great shape but Im not over weight, I dont exercise. I dont do any thing to get my heart rate up. I cant remember the last time I did. Im kind of concerned for one my smoking is getting the best of me. I cant do much b/c I get winded and very weak and tired so I just dont over do myself it I can. I do have COPD and I have had a lot of coughing lately and coughing up mucus I guess thats what you would call it. Its not black or gray just clear unless I have a sinus infecton. I have had a little wheezing when laying down. Also my neck on both sides have been hurting alot lately but Im not due to go to my Dr. till June for follow up on Thyroids. Just wondering what you think of these symptoms and should i see my Dr. before June b/c of the neck pain. I'll be looking for your answer! Thanks

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Katishome (cool screen image!): Yes, you should see your internist or primary care MD to evaluate the chest pain. You are 49 and a smoker. Women with heart problems can present with very atypical symptoms instead of classic chest pain. Valve problems can predispose one to an enlarged heart. Moreover the increased wheezing when you lie down should be evaluated.

Hopefully all this is related to a muscular or skeletal issue. Heaven knows we all get more of those as birthdays add up. Yet you deserve a more "for sure" answer.

Yours,
Jane

Katishome replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thanks Dr. Jane! Got it off the internet! Yea I figured I should see the Dr. but just wanted to see what you had to say cause I really hate to have to go. Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly! Your the best!

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.