Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Is this possible?
jk5493 posted:
Hi Jane,

I've noticed a lot of changes in the last year since my last normal period. I don't know if you recall... but, my last visit from my period was Feb. 2011. My doctor put me on provera back in January and 8 days after stopping, I had some spotting (for 3 days).

Back in November, she checked my hormone levels and my thryoid I guess and said my levels were normal. But, what I want to know, is it possible to have levels within normal but levels that aren't normal for one's body? I mean, I've never lost this much hair in my life, and my vagina feels so much more different. It's not as... well, it's just not the same. There aren't as many folds, etc. as there were before. The health center on campus told me I have chronic fatigue... but, I'm wondering if this could all be related to my hormones.

I'm just about 19. I have PCOS. I was diagnosed with it as a r/out from Cushings (my cortisol levels were elevated, everything else, androgens included were normal). I'm not insulin resistant. I'm on Metformin (500mg 2x/day

Anymore questions? Just ask...

Thanks,
Jade

I go to my doctor back home in 3 weeks during spring break. Is there anything specific I should ask?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Jade: Normal levels for lab tests are set by combining the results from many healthy individuals. A norm is determined then the upper/lower ends are statistically derived. What this means is that someone can be somewhat out of the normal range and that can be normal for them. Once someone's labs are twice the normal, then concern arises. Thus, it is less likely to have a normal lab and have that be abnormal for the person.

For hair loss in women there can be many causes. Here is a link to a blog on causes of hair loss in women:

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/features/women-hair-loss-causes

Jade, since you are going to see your own MD (as opposed to college health service), you might want to review your hair loss and minimal response to the Provera challenge test. These seem to be some of the most pressing issues.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.