Skip to content
I'm 19 years old and loosing my hair
Torilj posted:
I'm a 19 year old female and I've been experiencing hair loss since about September of last year. Before my hair loss started I had lost around 15 lbs. in the span of 3 days with no cause or reason. I've since gained the weight back but I noticed shortly after that had started loosing excessive amounts of hair while showering, brushing, or simply running my hands through my hair. It had got the the point that I would be covered in my own hair.. I was shedding more than my dog. So far I've lost over half of my hair mass and my hair part is a bit wider than it should be. My hair isn't coming out in clumps anymore but it is still coming out more than it should. It is not coming out in patches its consistent loss through my entire scalp. I've not changed my diet in an drastic way. (same goes for when I lost all the weight) I'm not taking any different medications than I have been for many years. I'm not stressed. I'm worried that I may be bald soon. I'll be grateful for any advise on the situation.

someonewhocares3 responded:
I'm a lot older than you but can relate to major hair loss as well as unintentional weight loss (except my weight loss wasn't that rapid). Mine was triggered by a hysterectomy and resulting bowel problems and loss of hormones. But regardless of cause (and age), hair loss is devastating!

It's very possible that the rapid weight loss triggered your hair loss. But the condition that caused the weight loss may also have hair loss as a symptom which may be why your hair is still shedding. Also, once the hair goes into a shedding phase, it sometimes takes awhile for that "switch" to be turned off and for it to go back into the growth phase. Diffuse hair shedding is called "telogen effluvium." There's also an autoimmune condition that causes hair to come out in clumps leaving bald patches and sometimes complete hair loss. It's called "alopecia areata" (loss in patches) or "alopecia universalis" (loss of all scalp and body hair). Yours sounds like diffuse hair loss.

You should see your doctor for a work-up to determine the cause of the hair loss. Even though it's been awhile since the rapid weight loss, this is also a concern that should be checked.

Hope this helps!

jk5493 responded:
I can SO relate. I haven't had any major changes in weight...but, same situation. Loss over my entire scalp. Heck, I'll be 19 in a couple of months. I do lose some chunks, but it's mostly evened out. The only difference between our stories is that I've not had a period for a year - so, my hormones must be wack-o.

Let me know what you find out because I had my thyroid checked and what not and it was "within normal ranges." I still think it might've been too high or low for my body...but, whatever.

Good luck to you! Just know you aren't alone. I'm in the exact same boat.

- Jade

someonewhocares3 replied to jk5493's response:
Sorry you're also suffering from hair loss! There are other endocrine problems (besides thyroid) that could cause the hair loss as well as cessation of periods.

Another possibility is PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). Women with PCOS have cystic ovaries, high testosterone levels, and missed or irregular periods. Other common symptoms are hirsutism, scalp hair loss, acne, insulin resistance, and tendency to gain weight.

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.cfm#a

Hope this helps!

Anon_160335 responded:
See your doctor and get your blood checked. Thyroid problems can make your hair fall out. The more you worry the more hair you will lose,

jk5493 replied to someonewhocares3's response:
I do have PCOS - my doctor just didn't expect me to start losing my hair outta nowhere. But, I see her in like 2 weeks (I'm away at school) so hopefully she will give me some answers.

Torilj replied to someonewhocares3's response:
Thanks so much. I'm thinking that it's probably the Diffuse hair shedding too. I've looked it up and there are so many different reasons that it could happen, so I'm probably going to go to he doctor and get some blood work.

An_250814 responded:
hey, this identical thing is happening to me. i made an account solely to respond to this. I know it was a year ago but did you ever find anything out.

locndload responded:
I was 19 when I started loosing my hair! By the age of 24 I thought it would all have been gone! I saw an ad for a hair loss formula that I thought was a scam, but actually worked! Now i'm 25 with a full and thick head of hair! Here check this out! It might just help! http://304cfs1akgo2bh3dm6ol9lcs3l.hop.clickbank.net/

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.