Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Larger Tampons for Perimenopause
butterflygarden posted:
I don't post on this board very often, but I wonder if any of you can help me.

I am 48 and in perimenopause. My periods have been off the rails lately, and I change my super plus tampons several times a day for the first few days.

Does anyone know of a tampon/brand that is larger I can use to help cut down on the constant changing all day long?

Thanks so much!
Butterfly

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Anybody?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I've seen Ultra tampons but not very often. OB used to make an Ultra tampon but may have discontinued them.

When I had super heavy periods prior to my myomectomy, I used Kotex super plus. They lasted 90 minutes for me.

Novakb responded:
Rather than tampons to catch the flow, why not use a Mooncup / Diva Cup? I run, do yoga and swim in it and it's always reliable - unlike tampons. (I'm nearly 46 and my cycle is changing to periods much closer together). I can honestly say I wish I'd changed years ago! So much safer, cheaper (you only buy it once) and more environmentally friendly than tampons. Though of course, it gets way less advertising, so it's down to women to recommend by word of mouth... At least it's one less thing to think about

someonewhocares3 responded:
There's also (or used to be anyway) a disposable cup called Instead.

butterflygarden replied to Novakb's response:
Thanks so much, everyone!

I guess I need to come to this board more often.

While I was waiting for some answers here, I also asked around to some of my friends who are in the same age range, and one of my friends told me that her local grocery store carries an Ultra tampon made by Tampax Pearl.

I'm going to go see if my store here carries it. Crossing my fingers. If this doesn't work, next stop Mooncup/Diva Cup/Instead!

Again, thanks so much.
Butterfly

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to butterflygarden's response:
Dear butterflygarden: Glad you got so many useful answers. If you are interested in an overview of the different types of menstrual cups you can check my recent blog on menstrual products done in December:

http://blogs.webmd.com/womens-health/

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.