Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Blood in my stool while on my period
LizHay posted:
So I have very irregular periods. I have one every couple months. Doctors say it's because of my stress level. Well recently I started my period, and there is a significant amount of blood in my stool each time. Should I be worried or is this common?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear LizHay: There are several possible reasons to have blood in the stool during menstruation:

1. Endometriosis of the bowel--Endometriosis implants are similar tissue to the lining of the uterus. Thus, endometriosis implants will bleed at the time of flow where ever the endo has attached itself (bowel, bladder, even as far away as the lungs). In your specific case it would be unusual for this type of bleeding to onset suddenly with large amounts of blood passed.

2. Internal hemorrhoid---Some women will become constipated during the premenstrual week. If this occurs and there is a small internal hemorrhoid there can be bright red bleeding when the hemorrhoid is abraded by hard stool.

3. Bowel bleeding coincidental to menstruation---Large amounts of bright red bleeding can arise from polyps inside the bowel, or much more remotely from rectal cancer.

Bottom line, this is NOT a common finding so I would really urge you to see your MD or clinic. They can use a clear plastic, cone-shaped device to look just inside the anus for sources of the bleeding. If it is not apparent then a flex sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy might be needed.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.