Skip to content
red irritation in folds of labia??
An_244584 posted:
For 6 months now I have been getting red irritations in the folds of the labia, what the heck is it and how do I get rid of it? It doesn't itch, but you can feel like it's a crack or paper cut, or just really irritated.
I've been to the OBGYN, he said its just vaginal dryness- put me in the estrogen patch even tho its not inside the vagina its outside, and no other menopause symptoms. And told to use vagisil- Not a good idea, I had red irritated bumps that were very tender. washed it off and stopped using and that went away, whew!
Went to my regular doctor, who concurred I was irritated and said I had some yeast. Put me on Flagyl, and diflucan (sp?). They appear and heal almost just as fast, but continued to reappear. So I went back and he took cultures, and put me on a zpack for good measure. Cultures all came back normal.
They were gone about a week, and here one is again. He suggested maybe Gluten is the culprit. I've looked into low vitamin D, since I have not been outside at all for winter, gluten issues, vaginal dryness.... anybody experience with this?
I should add that I'm 47, have had a hysterectomy with one ovary still, am lactose intolerant (even though I dont test like it--- it hits the intestine and its not fine. So doctor told me to eat like I was and things have been fine for 13 years). I workout 5 days a week, and not over weight. Just need a female perspective please.

rhondamay responded:
An_244584, I had similar symptoms that accompanied vaginal dryness a few years back. (I will be 57 later this year). My GYN prescribed the estrogen patches and they were not effective. I returned and she prescribed Femring for the internal dryness and Estrace twice a week for the exterior. It works great and I have no dryness problems in either area.

Good luck,

Rhonda

bc3333 replied to rhondamay's response:
Thank you so much for the advice!! I agree the patch does nothing for this. I've been on Estrace cream before, and didn't think it absorbed well and my doctor said some women don't care for this one but their are others I could try. I will certainly hold on to your information if the problem comes back.

I want to pass back to you something else I have found. I was searching online for info about the same time I wrote initially, and found the website http://yesyesyes.org . It is a company started by two women in the UK (you can check the site for all their background, its very nice). Anyway, developing female products without irritants was the goal, and they seem to be very successful at it. The great thing is that it is organic, Ph balanced, and it works- at least on me so far. I moisturize twice a day, it absorbs very fast, and within a day or two I was completely "crack" free!! I'm amazed and elated so far and its been about a week and a half! One is water based, one is oil based, and both can be combined for longevity, and slipperyness for those intimate moments. I'm even no longer sore the next day after sex. I'm amazed! It's not expensive and I will be ordering more. I feel normal again, and I'm not taking crazy expensive meds.
If interested you should check them out. But thank you for writing back! It's tough sometimes figuring out whats going on even when doctors are involved, and helps when women talk to combine knowledge and experiences!

46nikki responded:

Years ago, a male OBGYN told me with no explanation, "If you don't use IT, you'll loose IT." But I have never heard of my situation and I can't find any info on the internet. I am 70 years old and did not have children or take any HRT. Two years ago, I noticed severe vaginal dryness and irritation during sexual intercourse. I have had no sexual activity since then. Penetration would be painful and the penis would have to truly be the size of one finger. My current OBGYN diagnosed me with VAGINAL ATROPHY. But my main concern is now my labia minus has pretty much disappeared. It has grown/attached to the labia majus on both sides!!! (I started using Premarin and Replens three months ago to relieve the external discomfort.) Is this normal for some women at this age? Is there anything in particular women should do to prevent this? (I know that sexual contact would increase the blood flow.) On the positive side: I jokingly tell my friends , "I'm special/unique now. I don't have so much 'turkey skin' down there anymore." I hope someone can give me more information. And younger women need to be alerted to the importance of having good blood circulation in this area of the body. Hope my experience will give _244584 some thoughts to discuss with her doctor and give other women insight into this problem. The medical field should give us more information voluntarily. Patients don't always know the questions to ask.
THANK YOU

Helpful Tips

irregular periods
am 21 yrs old & have had a fairly normal period since i was 10. i recently had a menstrual cycle for 9 days, while i also had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.