Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Flank pain with UTI
nic14120 posted:
Hello,
I posted recently regarding my UTI that you helped me with, Jane. Thank you. I am on day 6 of Bactrum, (discontinued the Cipro after speaking with my dr regarding some joint sensativity), anyway, my primary did look at my urinalysis, and based on the ecoli, prescribed this med for 2x a day, for 7 days. Prior to being positive for the UTI, I only had symptoms of a strong odor urine, and left flank pain. Flank discomfort has been about 3 weeks now (I thought it was a pulled muscle). I have one more pill for today, and my two doses tomorrow, is it common for the flank pain to still be present, this long intot he antibiotics, and should I be concerned if it does not resolve by a certain timeframe?
I did call my primary today, as I am going out of town on a trip tomorrow, until Monday. The Dr said it is hard to say what is going on, and suggested I be seen. I unfortunitly could not get in today before I leave in the am. I am scared with stopping the meds tomorrow, and something being wrong/and happening. The flank discomfort I feel is only on my left side, and it is only when I bend over, when that part of my back is being stretched out. It has not grown in pain over this time, it's more a dull ache really. Any information would be great for possible reassurance as I head out of town. Thank you!!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear nic: Bactrim twice a day for a week would hopefully be adequate--if your E. Coli strain is sensitive to the killing effects of the Bactrim. An uncomplicated UTI (no renal involvement) would only need three days of Bactrim.

One would usually expect the flank pain to be diminishing if it is from a kidney infection that is receiving adequate treatment. Since you could not get back in for a recheck before leaving town I would urge you to finish the meds as ordered, and watch for: increased flank pain, fever, or UTI symptoms. Should that occur you should telephone your MD. They might recommend that you be seen in an ER or urgent care for follow up. Certainly when you return, if the flank pain is not gone, get back into your primary care MD.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Orange Menstrual Blood
Hi my names Jessica and I'm 22. I usually have normal cycles lasting about 28 days and last for about 5-6 days. I just started last night ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.