Skip to content
Period every two weeks
windmillgirl posted:
My step daughter just turned 13, she has been getting her period since just before she turned 12. From the first month, it's been "really bad and heavy," to the point she is missing school because of it. She has been regular from the start, but more times than not, she is getting her period every two weeks.
I have been concerned with this from the beginning, her dad talked to her mom about it, but she felt it was too weird to take her 12 year old to a GYN. It's still going on, and when I read up on it, it seems to be happening mostly to girls in their late teens or older women. I have yet to read about it happening with such a young girl and right from the start of getting her periods. Usually it seems to happen when they have changed something in their life-style or medication. Nothing drastic has changed for her since she has been getting her period, and she is not on any type of medication.
Any advice you all can give me would be greatly appreciated, since it's very odd to me (my period has been like clock work since I first got it) and I don't know anyone else who has gone through irregular periods every 2 weeks.
Thanks.

purrzz70 responded:
Go see a doctor. I started my period when I was 11 (42 now) and have never had the problems you are describing. She needs to see a doctor as soon as possible. It is NOT weird to take a 12 year old to a GYN. I hate it when people think it's weird to go to a dr. acct of a patients age. The sooner the better. The only thing that you can say if she is okay, is that you worried too much. You can never worry too much when it comes to the health and welfare of those you love.

windmillgirl replied to purrzz70's response:
My husband talked with his ex about this, and this time she said she talked with their doctor about it. According to her the doc said it was very normal at this age for period to be "weird" and to keep track of it for the next 6 months. My main concern is everything I have read points to it being "weird" in an irregular way, not an overly regular way. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens in the next 6 months.
Thanks for the advice! Wish I could have replied with better news from her doctor )

karidawn2000 responded:
My daughter is 16 and she has and has had the same problem for about a year and a half now! She first started her P @ 12. But it started getting weird. The spotting then outright periods every other week. we kept going to the pediatrician and not getting anywhere. All those supplies get expensive. Her P started getting heavier with bad cramping and back pain. We finally put her on a low dose birth control. Note my daughter is not sexually active and is only taking this from doctors advice.... It has not only regulated her periods the cramping has gone to a normal level. She was only on the pill for 6 mo. Now she is very slowly getting off. one pill then a day without, a pill, then two days without etc. We have been told from her doctor sometimes when periods are beginning it can start out normal then go off course while the body tries to figure out what it is supposed to do. the pills basically showed the body this is what to do. No she is getting off them and hope it worked. if nothing else she will know when they are coming. NOTE_ I would never endorse this for children for birth control purposes, I do not agree with teen sexual activity. it was for medical reasons foe severe menstrual problems.

windmillgirl replied to karidawn2000's response:
Thanks for the advice karidawn. That is pretty much the method I was thinking as well for my step-daughter, and please note, that I too have only thought about it to regulate her periods, she is not sexually active.
I know her mom thinks it's weird to take her (now) 13 year old to a GYN and put her on the pill, but as long as both her doctor and mom, dad and I really talk to her about this and why she is going on the pill, I don't think it would be an issue. She is old enough to explain this does not mean it is ok for her to become sexually active, but this is a healthy way of, like you said, showing her body what it is supposed to be doing. I really like the idea of getting her on a low dose, getting her period more regulated and then weaning her body off the pill. There is no need for her to be on the pill long term at this age, unless her doctor thinks it's necessary.
Thanks!

karidawn2000 replied to windmillgirl's response:
So far it has worked well, other than the usual side effects it is going great. The fist "pill period was awful with extreme back pain and heavy cramping which was very unusual for my daughter. But after that they got much better and then back to normal. Also as a usual side effect her breasts will increase at least a size. better plan for that. and the last was weaning her back off causes moodiness and unpredictable spotting. If you like I will post when she has had a normal....completely off the pill.. but right now the weaning process is in effect and is taking forever. I am glad that you are able to speak with her biological parent about this or her father is at least. a separation situation in the middle of this delicate matter could become very very ugly with finger pointing etc..."been there"

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.