Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What's a swollen pelvic area mean?
Nomojo21 posted:
My gyn told me that the results of my laproscopy is a swollen pelvic area meaning all my female parts are a little enlarged and hitting the nerves which in turn are causing me pain. I remember asking if it was pelvic inflammatory disease and he said no. So I'm wondering what the heck causes swelling in your lady parts! I've never heard of it before except pid, he said a number of things can cause it from child bearing to....anything. Do any of y'all know anything about this? Also I've had quite a few UTI's from it, do you think because of all the pressure, it had effected my bladder as well? The last few days the pain has gotten worse, it throbs from the front to lower back. I just want some anwers since my next appointment isn't till next Friday
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Nomojo: My best GUESS is that he was thinking you have pelvic congestion syndrome. In the most simple terms pelvic congestion syndrome means that the blood vessels which supply uterus, tubes, ovaries, even vulva, become distended with blood---kind of like varicose veins. This can prompt an aching, dragging pain (like bad varicose veins in the legs). Here is a recent citation from the 157 citations on this topic at the National Library of Medicine site:

Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2010 May;65(5):332-40.
Pelvic congestion syndrome-associated pelvic pain: a systematic review of diagnosis and management.
Tu FF, Hahn D, Steege JF.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, NorthShore University HealthSystem, Chicago, IL, USA.

To systematically evaluate the diagnosis and treatment of female pelvic congestion syndrome (PCS). We searched the PubMed database and relevant bibliographies for English-language studies published between January 1966 and May 2009 pertaining to diagnosis and treatment of female PCS-related pelvic pain. Treatment articles were restricted to those containing at least 4 subjects and a specified length of follow-up. Diagnostic test studies were included if they included subjects with and without pelvic pain. Two reviewers abstracted characteristics and outcomes from all controlled diagnostic studies and treatment papers. Six diagnostic and 22 treatment studies met entry criteria. Diagnostic method studies (pelvic venography, magnetic resonance imaging, or ultrasound) generally lacked appropriate reference standards, blinded assessors, or proven reliability. Treatment studies (using transvenous catheter embolization, surgical ligation, hysterectomy, or hormonal suppression) reporting ordinal outcomes found improvement from 24% to 100%; a similarly wide range of improvement was found with change in continuous rating of visual analogue scale pain scores (mean follow-up 4 months to 5.6 years). Both progestins and gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists are effective in decreasing pain symptoms. The optimal diagnostic approach for PCS-related pelvic pain remains unclear, and controlled trials comparing medical and interventional treatments are urgently needed for PCS-associated pelvic pain.

You can also do a GOOGLE search on pelvic congestion syndrome. Be sure to clarify with your GYN at your up coming appointment as to what he thinks your exact diagnosis (in medical terms) is.


PS Pelvic congestion syndrome, as far as I am aware, is not linked to more frequent UTIs.
Nomojo21 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
How did they treat it? I'm on depo shot and it has only made bleeding and pain MUCH MUCH worse. My gyn wants to do a hysterectomy on me, even though I'm only 24.

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.