Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Birth Control pill confusion
ebinder1 posted:
Hi,

I'm hoping somebody in the medical profession can answer my question for me. I'm getting married next month and have been on the Aviane birth control pills for about a year and half. Up until now I have not needed them specifically for preventing pregnancy so I have not worried about the proper storage temperature. I read on the package that the pills need to be stored at a temperature between 68 and 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Does anybody know what happens if the pills are stored at hotter or colder temperatures or if they are left in luggage in a hot car? Will the pills become less effective at preventing pregnancy? I tried asking my pharmacist and they said to call the manufacturer and the manufacturer said to call the pharmacist. Any help clearing up this confusion would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

georgiagail responded:
Heat...especially heat over a extended period of time would decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. However, the heat would need to be significant.

Stored inside luggage in a hot car would not degrade them. It would simply not get hot enough in the luggage to damage them.

Stored in direct sunlight (for example, on the dashboard of a car in the summer) would make this a different matter.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.