Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Spotting after heavy lifting
Ashley261985 posted:
I have been spotting for a couple of days now, I first noticed it after having to lift a few heavy things at work. (when I got home) I had no pain while lifting any of this but I do have two hernia's I should note. The doctor said the "were" the size of BB's about 2 yrs ago. Have'nt checked on them since.

I also have had two ectopic pregnancies, with the last one being around 2 1/2 years ago. I had to have my right tube removed. (It happened twice in the same tube) so since then I have had irregular bleeding at times of the month that I should'nt. It seems to happen every couple of months. It's to early for a period which should be at the end of this month. And the spotting started after the lifting. So im ruling out a period. I also have'nt been on any BC in years, with no pregnancy since the last Ectopic. We have been trying forever it seems with no luck.

So with all that being said, I am lost to what is really going on. I am scheduling a visit with my doctor in the next couple of days, I have not had anything checked out since the ectopic. I am worried to the point that I dont want to find out what is going on. Eventhough I know I should. I am starting to have alittle cramping and pain today. It feels similar to my period just not the same and the bleeding will go away most of the day and return later at night it seems.. It has been brown at first, and now it has turned a reddish/ pink.

The last thing I have concerns about that I forgot to note above is I was told when I had the first EP that I had P.I.D. they did not go into any details on what this could do or if it ever goes away. I have read alot of info on it just like everything else it seems to be all over the place. When I had my second EP I told them about it and they acted like it wasnt a concern. I have tenderness in my abdomen and sometimes pressure. For instance I cannot lay on my stomach, and If someone presses below my belly botton anywhere it is very uncomfortable.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Ashley: You are absolutely doing the right thing in seeing your GYN for an exam and a more accurate diagnosis. Here is some additional information which might guide your time with the GYN.

PID--If it was treated it should resolve. I have only seen one case in 30 years where the woman apparently had an old PID created abscess on her ovary which suddenly seemed to create pain and fever and an enlarging ovarian mass.

Bleeding/cramping---Given that you are not using birth control, the possibility of an undetected pregnancy should be ruled out. If a pregnancy test is positive, screenings for another ectopic need to be done.

Another possibility for the bleeding/cramping would be an ovarian cyst on the remaining left ovary. A simple office ultrasound should be able to identify an ovarian cyst on the left.

You should surely mention that the symptoms onset after heavy lifting. Yet,inguinal hernias should not prompt vaginal bleeding.

Lastly, the abdominal tenderness and pain when someone presses below the bellybutton MIGHT be adhesions. These are filmy bands of scar tissue which develop after inflammation (eg surgery, pelvic infection,ruptured ectopic). Be sure to ask your GYN about this chronic pain.

Yours,
Jane

Ashley261985 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you for replying, I thought I would have some answer's to give or have for myself but I dont. I went in to my doctor (I have seen her twice including this visit) and she did a pelvic exam and told me that she couldn't find any reason for what was going on just that I might be having an "irregular cycle" I was suppose to be called back for a ultrasound but never got a call back. So I just left it alone because she made me feel as if nothing I said was important and was fine. I told her about everything I mentioned above. The surgeries, not getting pregnant after two years and that I was concerned. The only thing she said other than wanting to do the ultrasound was that my cervix was very easy to irratate and that sex could be the reason. I think it might be part of it (the sex) but I dont believe that is why. I have a very active sex life and it doesnt happen very often after sex as she was trying to say.And also I might add she never even asked about the lifting and told me that it would be okay to go back to work the same day I saw her. And I was still having the pains when I left her office. She just told me to go home and take Motrin. I am thinking about getting a second opinion on it all. I just dont know where to turn or where to start. I am very unsatisfied after everything I have been through I feel like I will never find out any answers at this rate.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to Ashley261985's response:
Dear Ashley: I can certainly understand why you could feel very frustrated. Really, you might want to get the ultrasound if the current GYN ordered one. Even if it takes a call to her office to get it scheduled. One of the most common reasons for an "irregular cycle" is a missed ovulation(s). And one of the common causes of missed ovulations can be ovarian cysts.

Alas, some of the other causes of pelvic pain and problems with fertility (eg adhesions/scar tissue or endometriosis) do not image well on ultrasound.

Given that you have been trying to conceive for two years it is time to do a more thorough work up for the fertility concerns. This can include an evaluation of ovulation regularity, a check for the health of the remaining tube ("tubal patency"), and a search for adhesions or endometriosis (both of which can impact fertility). Also, unless your partner has fathered a pregnancy, he should be checked for "male factors" (eg sperm count).

I would concur with your plan to get a second opinion. It sounds like you are not getting the communication you need with this particular GYN.

In Support,
Jane

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.