Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
When Ovarian Vein Embolization FAILS!
PelvicPainStinks posted:
HELP!! I have PCS and had both ovarian veins embolized a month ago. The pain is just as bad as it was prior to the surgery. The doctor says it could take a few cycles to feel better but I am pretty certain that it has failed as the pain is so great and I am often reduced to tears because of it. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and what the next step would be in a case like this? Do they do another Scan, do they embolize again, are there other procedures that I can't seem to find online. I would appreciate feeback from those who may have been down a similar path. Thanks so much!!!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear PelvicPainStinks: Multiple literature searches at the National Library of Medicine site found only two citations about the need to repeat ovarian embolization. Here is the most recent:

Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2008 Nov-Dec;31(6):1159-64. Epub 2008 Aug 28.
Pelvic vein embolisation in the management of varicose veins.
Ratnam LA, Marsh P, Holdstock JM, Harrison CS, Hussain FF, Whiteley MS, Lopez A.
Source

Department of Radiology, St. George's Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London SW17 0QT, UK.
Abstract

Pelvic vein incompetence is common in patients with atypical varicose veins, contributing to their recurrence after surgery. Therefore, refluxing pelvic veins should be identified and treated. We present our experience with pelvic vein embolisation in patients presenting with varicose veins. Patients presenting with varicose veins with a duplex-proven contribution from perivulval veins undergo transvaginal duplex sonography (TVUS) to identify refluxing pelvic veins. Those with positive scans undergo embolisation before surgical treatment of their lower limb varicose veins. A total of 218 women (mean age of 46.3 years) were treated. Parity was documented in the first 60 patients, of whom 47 (78.3%) were multiparous, 11 (18.3%) had had one previous pregnancy, and 2 (3.3%) were nulliparous. The left ovarian vein was embolised in 78%, the right internal iliac in 64.7%, the left internal iliac in 56.4%, and the right ovarian vein in 42.2% of patients. At follow-up TVUS, mild reflux only was seen in 16, marked persistent reflux in 6, and new reflux in 3 patients. These 9 women underwent successful repeat embolisation. Two patients experienced pulmonary embolisation of the coils, of whom 1 was asymptomatic and 1 was successfully retrieved; 1 patient had a misplaced coil protruding into the common femoral vein; and 1 patient had perineal thrombophlebitis. The results of our study showed that pelvic venous embolisation by way of a transjugular approach is a safe and effective technique in the treatment of pelvic vein reflux.

Hopefully one of our readers who has needed a repeat procedure--or who finally had relief after several menstrual cycles--will reply.

In Support,
Jane

sobermeyer87 responded:
Hello, I too just had this procedure done. I had to have over 10 coils places, and this is going on my fifth week and I am inn extreme pain, all the time and am at a loss of what to do. I have a huge bulge/swelling in the left side, and it swells so much that my skin turns all splotchy and red on that side. The doctor is saying that my only option is to remove the ovary, but since I am only 24 he doesn't want to do that and wants me to continue to wait this out. But I have a 2 year old daughter that I still cannot lift, or do the things I used to. I have been staying with ny parents since the procedure and I am just feeling hopeless and let down. The pain is unbearable... Even standing hurts, and causes major swelling. Last week they put me on a 5 day steroid pack and said to call back on the last day if things hadn't changed, this is the 4th day and there has been no change. Are there other options? Have you heard anything from your doctor? I am at the point now where I may be willing to have my ovary removed to alleviate the pain and get my life back. I will still have the other ovary, but I just don't know what to do. Any advice or related experience would help. Thanks so much.

Kymc1 replied to sobermeyer87's response:
I have been searching the internet for people with these same symptoms. There has to be more. I have ovarian vein embolization one year ago and I am left with massive bloating and pain. I went to a vascular surgeon for help for me vericose veins that run up my left leg and into my buttocks/vulva area.
I was told I needed to have this done before proceeding with further treatment to discourage more bulging veins. I had the procedure done and I since day one of the procedure I have massive bloating in the pelvic area and pain. The only way I can describe it is, it is so protuded it looks like I am 6 months pregnant and the pain is unbearable. They put me on a 5 day steroid pack after the procedure and it did nothing. I even asked the Dr to do a CT scan after the procedure to find out what happened because this is so unbearable. He said the CT scan came back normal. This cannot be correct. What is going on and why cant the DR tell me what he did? Someone needs to help. I went to the gynecologist and he told me to go back to the DR that did the procedure. I will not do that because he put me in this state. I went to another vascular surgeon and I was told I did not even need this procedure to correct my vericose vein problem. I burst into tears. This is so unbearable and I need some help. How can a DR do this procedure and leave a woman in this condition? There has to be more woman that are left in this condition.

sissymay replied to Kymc1's response:
,I had bilateral ovarian vein embolization at the end of march . The Interventional radiologist used over 25 platinum coils during the procedure, a few days after the procedure I developed a tubular knot in my lower right pelvic area , the IR told me over the phone hes 99 % sure it is not from the procedure . It has been a very painful recovery. I had to take three weeks off from work instead of one as originally thought . The pain actually got worse the second week with almost unbearable pressure and cramping for four nights with no sleep and no relief . After three weeks still in a lot of pain I went back to work , it has been hell , I am still having pain and swelling / tenderness on both sides of my pelvic area especially after working on my feet all day, sharp and crampy pains, also major breast tenderness .I called the IR office to let him know how I was feeling and was told to follow up with my primary , my pcp thinks the lump maybe a muscle knot ? However sense I have seen her it has gotten worse the whole area feels hard inside, she is referring me to a general surgeon .But they cant see me for 2 weeks .Has anyone had this happen ? should the IR be following up with me? should I seek emergent care ? was also wondering if that is a normal amount of coils to be used .I also was wondering about the cost ,the eob I got from my insurance said the hospital charged 66,000 dollars total, I was flabbergasted , I know the procedure took a lot longer than they thought it would and they used more coils than normal... anyone have any ideas or experience regarding this ?

Anon_6061 replied to sissymay's response:
You are still in the early recovery stages so hopefully, the pain will gradually lessen and then subside altogether. However, since devices (coils) were used, your body could be attempting to reject them. The coils can also migrate. At least that has happened in some cases of the Essure coils used for tubal sterilization. There have been quite a few FDA adverse events filed on Essure. Here is one article about that - http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-12-22/health/ct-essure-safety-met-20131222_1_essure-conceptus-fallopian-tubes. It would seem that these coils could also migrate.

It is concerning that your surgeon / interventional radiologist is wanting to drop you already and claiming it is not from the procedure. Something obviously isn't right and I doubt it is a coincidence. My surgeon also "wiped his hands" of me after needlessly removing my sex organs / doing a hysterectomy and ovary removal. I have felt betrayed and disillusioned by the medical community ever since.

Let us know what you find out and how this progresses. Hope this pain ends up being just a longer recovery than expected and not a long-term consequence.

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.