Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Colposcopy a week ago with normal results today
missjennifer1966 posted:
I had a LEEP procedure 16 years ago. My doctor saw something abnormal when he did my last pap a month ago so scheduled a colposcopy, which was done 10 days ago. I was told if I heard nothing from the clinic, that was good news and am scheduled for a followup in 4 days. I received a letter from the clinic yesterday saying my pap results were normal. I thought if I had a normal Pap, the colposcopy was not necessary, but does this mean the colposcopy was normal?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear missjennifer: Usually, if a GYN sees something of concern on the cervix while doing a PAP, a colposcopy is performed no matter what the PAP results showed. A PAP smear is a screening test, a colposcopy (and especially if a tissue sample is taken as a biopsy) is considered much more exacting.

At your follow up visit your GYN should be able to share with you the colpo (and any biopsy) results. All follow up will be based upon those, not the normal PAP result. I would hope that your colposcopy procedure yielded a normal result and your GYN was just being thorough (which is a good thing!).

Thanks for asking this important question, missjennifer.

Yours,
Jane

missjennifer1966 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thanks so much for the response! I appreciate it:)

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.