Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Birth Control capsule implant in arm
An_246407 posted:
Dear Jane,
After completion of five years of the birth control capsule implant in arm, i have get it removed on 28 June 2012. and one week after the removal i have started bleeding. During the five years i have experienced following side effects:
- many days in a row of spotting or bleeding.
- did not know ahead of time when will spot or bleed
- spotting between periods.
please tell if the manstural cycles would get normal or not?
and would i recover my weight loss?
what should i do about this condition, is it normal after removal?
how much time will it take to get normal?

Regards,
Seema

georgiagail responded:
From the attached article, spotting or bleeding seems to be the most common side effect while on this type of birth control.

http://contraception.about.com/od/prescriptionoptions/p/Implanon.htm

It is not unusual to begin a menstrual period after stopping hormone type birth control.

Gail

seema_123 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks and regards

Seema

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to seema_123's response:
Dear Seema: Gail is correct, but I would like to add some additional information to your question about how long it will take for normal hormonal patterns to appear. Implanon contains a synthetic progesterone (etongestrel), but of a different type than DepoProvera. While it may take five months for the metabolites of Depo to clear the body, etongrestrel is not found after 7 days following Implanon removal (Huber, 1998). Return to ovulation and fertility can occur at about 3 months (Kiriwat, 1998 & Funk, 2005).

You also mentioned weigh loss. If you have lost a significant amount of weight and are at a body mass index (BMI) of 19 or less (considered underweight), this can impact regular ovulations.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.