Includes Expert Content
Birth Control capsule implant in arm
An_246407 posted:
Dear Jane,
After completion of five years of the birth control capsule implant in arm, i have get it removed on 28 June 2012. and one week after the removal i have started bleeding. During the five years i have experienced following side effects:
- many days in a row of spotting or bleeding.
- did not know ahead of time when will spot or bleed
- spotting between periods.
please tell if the manstural cycles would get normal or not?
and would i recover my weight loss?
what should i do about this condition, is it normal after removal?
how much time will it take to get normal?

Regards,
Seema

georgiagail responded:
From the attached article, spotting or bleeding seems to be the most common side effect while on this type of birth control.

http://contraception.about.com/od/prescriptionoptions/p/Implanon.htm

It is not unusual to begin a menstrual period after stopping hormone type birth control.

Gail

seema_123 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks and regards

Seema

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to seema_123's response:
Dear Seema: Gail is correct, but I would like to add some additional information to your question about how long it will take for normal hormonal patterns to appear. Implanon contains a synthetic progesterone (etongestrel), but of a different type than DepoProvera. While it may take five months for the metabolites of Depo to clear the body, etongrestrel is not found after 7 days following Implanon removal (Huber, 1998). Return to ovulation and fertility can occur at about 3 months (Kiriwat, 1998 & Funk, 2005).

You also mentioned weigh loss. If you have lost a significant amount of weight and are at a body mass index (BMI) of 19 or less (considered underweight), this can impact regular ovulations.

Yours,
Jane