Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Colposcopy biopsy results back
missjennifer1966 posted:
She said they came back good, no cancer, but she said it showed a lot of inflammation. She wants to do an endometrial biopsy and then she wants to send me somewhere to get a pelvic ultrasound. What is the worst that could happen if I just do not go back?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear missjennifer: Thanks for the feedback on your colpo and biopsy. If you are 46 years old, my best GUESS is that they are trying to exclude worrisome causes for inflammatory changes seen on your results.

In a younger women we usually think about chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc. Given that they want to do a biopsy of the lining of your uterus and have a pelvic ultrasound I would wonder if they wanted to rule out a problem with the lining (eg abnormal cells) and to do a scan of the ovaries.

Honestly, if it were me I would certainly go back and get this settled once and for all. I've had probably 20-30 endometrial biopsies (for science) and they are not the funnest thing I've done. Yet I would really doubt that she would have ordered these tests without a reason. Inflammation is a very general term--there must be a reason for her follow up test orders. You have every right to ask her for more explanations or information--but I wouldn't just "no show."

Please keep us all appraised of your progress.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.