Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Period Issues
NicoleLuvsAsianPPL posted:
When I'm on my period, I have a sharp pain in my butt/rectum that lasts for about 20 seconds. The pain will either be random, when I have gas, or when I'm pooping. Sometimes when I'm pooping the pain wll be so intense and unbearable that I have to stop trying to use the bathroom. And when it happen randomly or when I have gas, I'm close to being in the fetal positon. I've been to the gynecologist because I had blood clots during my period and they tested me for endometriosis, anemia, and three other things. Happily, the results turned out negative, and they put me on birth conrtol to control the blood clots. That stopped the clotting and the random pain, but I'm still in pain when I'm pooping and I don't know what it is.This pain only happens when I'm on my period. Please help me, I want to know if there's any way to stop the pain. I want to poop in peace!!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Nicole: Classically rectal pain only during menstruation can be attributed to endometriosis ("endo"). You mentioned that endo was ruled out as a cause. Hopefully you had a laproscopic surgery to look inside for evidence of endo--this is the most conclusive way to diagnose endo. Birth control pills usually cause endo to shrink and thus reduce pain. Yet there is an occasional women for whom birth control pills do not suppress endo pain during a bleed.

If your GYN cannot eliminate your flows by using continuous birth control pills, you may want to consult with a gastrointestinal MD. You might have a GI condition (eg inflammatory bowel disease) which only flares during menstruation.

Yours,
Jane

NicoleLuvsAsianPPL replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
First off, thank you for your help. When I went to the gynecologist, I originally went to get a pap smear because my mom thought it might be endo too. I didn't get a pap smear, because I'm only 17 and I'm a virgin. She didn't mention laproscopic surgery at all. Can you tell me a few GI contidions that occur during menstruation? Thanks alot!

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.