Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
menopause or going crazy
chivivor posted:
I just turned 48 two months ago something told me to start keeping up with my periods. well everything was fine until this last period started 08/02/2012 it started off light acted like a regular period for a couple of days then got lighter like it was going to stop........ well it began to pick back up 08/12/2012(still on) as if I was starting all over with cramps also don't know what to do I'm moody irritable and at my wits end with this I'm preparing to make a Dr. appointment.

Take the Poll

How many women are going throught this?
  • women between the ages of 45 to 55
  • 100's 1000's
vote
View Poll Results

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear chivivor: I don't know the current statistics on the number of women in perimenopause but in would be in the 100,000s. Perimenopause is the four to five year transition into actual menopause. The average age of entering perimenopause is about 46 or 47.

One of the hall marks of perimenopause is menstrual cycle changes, particularly the diminishing number of ovulations and the decrease in progesterone production from the ones that do occur. These hormonal changes will yield more erratic bleeding patterns and flows that are prolonged. Flows can be either too heavy or too-light depending upon how much of the lining is shed. If your GYN has a concern that your bleeding is from a too thickened lining you may be given an ultrasound or even an endometrial biopsy.

Hope your transition into actual menopause is smooth.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.