Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
What is truley a problem
chivivor posted:
Every time I have (sexual) relations with my boyfriend I start bleeding again............ whats wrong NOW???!!!
Remebering my first birth.

georgiagail responded:
http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/menstruation/a/bleedaftersex.htm

Gail

chivivor replied to georgiagail's response:
thank you for all the info I needed it ... But I also 48 yrs lod and have started having irregular periods

georgiagail replied to chivivor's response:
While you may be entering menopause (thus the irregular menstrual periods) this is a different issue than the bleeding after sexual intercourse.

Gail

chivivor replied to georgiagail's response:
I wanted to thank you again my Dr say it could be many small fibroids or adenomyosis. Now what Next...

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to chivivor's response:
Dear chivivor: Both fibroids and adenomyosis (endometriosis growing inside the muscular walls of the uterus) thrive on estrogen. During perimenopause one can actually have sudden spikes of estrogen because of spikes in FSH levels. Fortunately, after menopause when estrogen levels drop way down, both fibroids and endometriosis tend to regress.

Thus, your GYN might have you self monitor for increased problems with bleeding with the hope that it abates after menopause (average age in US is 50.5 years old). Alternatively, the GYN might want to do a biopsy of the lining of the uterus if the bleeding after sex persists. This would rule out abnormal cells in the lining as the cause of the bleeding. A biopsy of the lining would not be able to assess fibroids or adenomyosis. In this case your GYN's evaluation of all your tests would be your best guide.

Treatment (surgery or hormones) will depend upon what is found to be your specific culprit for the bleeding after sex.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.