Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    What is truley a problem
    chivivor posted:
    Every time I have (sexual) relations with my boyfriend I start bleeding again............ whats wrong NOW???!!!
    Remebering my first birth.
    georgiagail responded:

    chivivor replied to georgiagail's response:
    thank you for all the info I needed it ... But I also 48 yrs lod and have started having irregular periods
    Remebering my first birth.
    georgiagail replied to chivivor's response:
    While you may be entering menopause (thus the irregular menstrual periods) this is a different issue than the bleeding after sexual intercourse.

    chivivor replied to georgiagail's response:
    I wanted to thank you again my Dr say it could be many small fibroids or adenomyosis. Now what Next...
    Remebering my first birth.
    Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to chivivor's response:
    Dear chivivor: Both fibroids and adenomyosis (endometriosis growing inside the muscular walls of the uterus) thrive on estrogen. During perimenopause one can actually have sudden spikes of estrogen because of spikes in FSH levels. Fortunately, after menopause when estrogen levels drop way down, both fibroids and endometriosis tend to regress.

    Thus, your GYN might have you self monitor for increased problems with bleeding with the hope that it abates after menopause (average age in US is 50.5 years old). Alternatively, the GYN might want to do a biopsy of the lining of the uterus if the bleeding after sex persists. This would rule out abnormal cells in the lining as the cause of the bleeding. A biopsy of the lining would not be able to assess fibroids or adenomyosis. In this case your GYN's evaluation of all your tests would be your best guide.

    Treatment (surgery or hormones) will depend upon what is found to be your specific culprit for the bleeding after sex.


    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Expert Blog

    Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

    From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.