Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
3rd week of period while on BCP?! How do I stop it?
TamJam16 posted:

I have been on BCP for a little over a month now. Two weeks (+2 days) ago, I got my period. It has not stopped since, and I'm starting to worry. Having trouble getting in contact with my gyno. My questions...

Should I stop taking my BCP? If I stop taking my BCP now, will my period cease in the next few days? Do I need to take a different BCP for this not to happen?

Ms. Jane Harrison-Hohner, please help!

Tam

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear TamJam: Thanks for waiting for a reply. No, I would urge you to continue taking your BCP as prescribed unless your GYN says to stop. Even if you stop the BCP you may continue to have a hormone withdrawal bleed for a while--plus be unprotected from pregnancy after a week.

Yes, if you have persisting breakthrough bleeding problems on your current BCP, a change in brand or formulation may be helpful. Your GYN can help you sort out which other BCP might offer better cycle control.

Alas, breakthrough bleeding is very common in most all hormonal forms of birth control. The worst times tend to be either in the initial few months as the lining of the uterus is "getting used to" the hormones, and then again after years of use when the lining of the uterus can become very thinned out (making it less stable).

Hope this is just a transient problem due to being a new start on your pill.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.