Skip to content
Fibroids are killing me.
creft posted:
I have two big fibroids in my uterus. They are taking up all the room in my uterus. I also have a cyst on my right ovary. To make matters worse, I have bleeding about 28 out of 30 days a month. For about 16 days there is heavy bleeding. (I soak through a maxi pad in an hour.) As as result of the constant bleeding I am anemic.

Can something be done to help me with my fibroids?

I am 40 and still hoping to have children. Is there hope out there for me?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

georgiagail responded:
What treatment options have you discussed with your gynecologist?

Attached is a good article that reviews treatment options, including some that does not involve removing the uterus:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uterine-fibroids/DS00078/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Gail

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I, too, had a large fibroid that was causing my periods to be heavy (a super plus tampon every 90 minutes). My doctor was able to perform an abdominal myomectomy, removing my fibroids and leaving my uterus intact. I went on to have two healthy pregnancies and delivered via c-section.

Anon_6061 responded:
Have you tried any meds to shrink the fibroids and/or reduce the bleeding?

Here's a PubMed Health link about diagnostics and treatment options for heavy bleeding - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015963/ . This link only contains the Table of Contents. You need to click on the section you want to access to see its contents.

Section 8 addresses pharmaceutical treatments (hormonal and non-hormonal) and their effectiveness based on studies.

Sections 10 and 11 address non-hysterectomy procedures. Some are not recommended with large fibroids. Be aware that pregnancy can occur after ablation but is rarely viable. Myomectomy (removal of fibroids with uterine resection) is supposed to preserve fertility but, with any surgery, there are risks and less than optimal outcomes. The skills of the surgeon are critical.

There are some drugs that have been shown to shrink fibroids as indicated in the Mayo and Pubmed links. There's also a relatively new drug, ulipristal acetate, that shows effectiveness in shrinking fibroids and reducing bleeding. It's actually a "morning after" pill but has shown promise in off label use in lower doses. Here are the studies on that - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=ulipristal%20acetate%20fibroids&itool=QuerySuggestion
Here's a WebMD article - http://women.webmd.com/uterine-fibroids/news/20120201/new-drug-effective-fibroid-treatment

fcl responded:
Like the others said, you need to discuss your options with your gyn. Personally, I followed a treatment of hormonal meds that were supposed to shrink my fibroids temporarily. It's been over 15 years and I have had no sign of them since (I kno they're still there but I no longer have the bleeding, the pain, the clots, etc.) I also had an unplanned, unexpected twin pregnancy ten years ago at the age of 42 I'm not saying that meds will work for everybody (because they won't and besides the treatment is Hell on Earth) but it's worth exploring all of the avenues open to you to find the least invasive, most effective treatment for you.

Good luck.

creft responded:
Thanks everyone for your input. I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to discuss the issue with my OB. Hoping to get some answers then.

lauren6103 responded:
I have been to my gyn. He said my uterus is about 26cm from top to bottom. My uterus feels like I'm about 6 months pregnant. He said the best thing for me due to my age is remove uterus.

I think I need another opinion....

tlkittycat1968 replied to lauren6103's response:
I agree on getting a second opinion.

Anon_6061 replied to lauren6103's response:
I agree Lauren. Be aware though that hysterectomy is the most overused surgery after c-section so it's very possible that you could get quite a few opinions with all recommending hysterectomy. You may need to see a doctor outside your normal "network" (different practice, hospital, insurance, etc) to preserve your uterus (which has functions besides childbearing). Have you checked with your primary care doctor or do you have a nurse friend who may know someone? I wish I'd known that I was being misled when my gynecologist said I needed surgery. Good luck in your search!

georgiagail replied to Anon_6061's response:
lauren...If you feel uncomfortable with what your physician has suggested, by all means get a second opinion. In addition, there are some good sites to read up regarding options attached to this posting.

However, remember that many women have undergone a hysterectomy (myself included) with absolutely no negative side effects from this.

Gail

lauren6103 replied to georgiagail's response:
I would consider having a hysterectomy if my husband and I didn't want to try to have kids in the next couple of years.

As I told my husband, I wouldn't mind all the bleeding if I didn't pass blood clots twice the size of the palm of my hand. I can't seem to keep up with the bleeding.

Have you and your doctor tried any of the medications (hormonal or non-hormonal) listed in the link I provided such as BCP's, progestogens, tranexamic acid (Rx), NSAID's (OTC)?

lauren6103 replied to Anon_6061's response:
I did discuss that with my doctor. He said it would just make the situation worse not better.

Lets just say I did not have a good visit when I saw my gyn., my normal doctor had an emergency so I saw someone else from the practice. It was a really long visit and I was crying most of the visit. He did not want to listen to me. I want to save my uterus not have a hysterectomy.

fcl replied to lauren6103's response:
Did he say why it would make the situation worse? How about the possibility of a myomectomy?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uterine-fibroids/DS00078/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

I'd be for a second opinion from someone outside the practice just in case they have "company practices" (for lack of a better expression).

Lauren - I'm sorry you were subjected to this condescending behavior. Whenever a doctor doesn't listen or has a set agenda (that doesn't match yours), it's best to move on to another. Minimally, we deserve to be treated with respect and be given ALL treatment options along with ALL their risks and benefits. Sometimes it's hard to see that we need to move on especially if we've established a good relationship with a doctor which tends to be the case with gynecologists since we generally see them more than our PCP.

Have you tried NSAID's (such as Aleve or Motrin)? One of the links w/i the link I provided shows effectiveness of flow reduction of various meds - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly. NSAID's show an "up to 49%" reduction. There are OTC and Rx NSAID's. Would your primary care doctor be willing to prescribe any of these flow reduction meds if OTC NSAID's don't work?

At least meds are "reversible" in that you can stop taking them if they don't work or you don't like the side effects. Not the case with surgery.

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.