Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Milk ducts feel swollen but stoped breastfeeding 4 years ago
Dev05 posted:
I woke up this morning and my breast felt heavy and were a lil sensitive. My breast do tend to get a lil sensitive just before my period, but my period not due for another week and a half. Also when i was washing my body i could feel my milk duct they felt swollen in both breast. I know its normal for ur breast to feel sensitive before ur period but what about ur ducts being swollen? I'm 25 with 2 children i breastfed both of them for over a year but stoped BF 4 years ago. Not on any birth control (we use the pull out method along with calendar/ i know when i ovulate)

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Dev: If you have a shorter/lighter period or missed period the first thing to rule out is an undetected pregnancy. Another possible cause of increased breast heaviness/sensitivity would be a missed ovulation. The resulting estrogen dominance can prompt breast sensitivity. This is similar to the breast changes some women get when starting on estrogen (eg post-menopause or on a higher estrogen birth control pill).

If the bilateral duct enlargement persists you should see your OB/GYN for a focused breast exam. They can give you the most "for sure" answer after a good history and palpation of the breast tissue.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.