Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
shorter cycle
An_247767 posted:
What could cause a cycle shorter than normal? My periods have always come every 28-31 days, and all of a sudden I'm several days early..it's so strange. Could any specific vitamins cause this?

fcl responded:
How old are you? Sometimes as you get older and nearer to perimenopause your cycles will shorten.

crowcrow replied to fcl's response:
Only 30

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to crowcrow's response:
Dear crowcrow: While premature menopause certainly does occur (meaning an earlier peri-menopause), that is the less likely reason for your cycle changes. It is also unlikely that a vitamin regimen could do this.

As long as you are still within 21-35 days apart, that is still considered to be in the normal range. Some women do start to experience cycle changes around age 35, marked by shorter intervals between flows and more of a "flooding" type of flow.

You should keep a careful menstrual calendar, and if your cycles continue to shorten and shorten see your GYN or clinic. Occasionally a rising prolactin level (from the pituitary gland) can prompt cycle changes. A GYN would rule out a number of different causes.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.